Is Christianity really the majority religion in the US?

I was doing some thinking, people tend to think of Christianity as the majority religion. But was was wondering if they are the majority when placed against other religions separately, or when placed against non-Christians?

Anyone know where I could get those numbers? Now that it's not on the Census any more, are their any reliable sources for those numbers?

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 12:34 PM on Jul. 2, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• I know my sociology book discussed it. It did say that Christianity is the ruling religion of the country and world if I remember correctly. Then again it isn't surprising when taking into account that the three main religions of the world are Christianity, Islam and Judaism.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 12:40 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• Here's a good link: http://www.adherents.com/rel_USA.html

Christianity includes Catholics, Protestants, LDS, JWs, Orthodox, and a bunch of other. Protestant is by far the largest at 53%.

anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 12:43 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• http://www.cnn.com/2009/LIVING/wayoflife/03/09/us.religion.less.christian/
    greenergypsy

Answer by greenergypsy at 12:47 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• Here is a link to a pie graph of the religions in the United States:

http://www.adherents.com/Religions_By_Adherents.html

As you can see Christianity has the majority with about 2.1 billion followers. The next largest religion is still almost 1 billion behind that!
    amber710

Answer by amber710 at 12:52 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• What about people who profess to being Christians but don't even go to church or practice that faith? Shouldn't those people not count when taking polls? I don't see how anyone could get a 'real' number unless they investigated every single person.

IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 12:59 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• Protestant is by far the largest at 53%.

Protestant isn't a religion though. It's like Pagan, a blanket term to categorize a whole bunch of groups together. That sounds like a number that was fiddled by some "researcher" who resented Catholics always winning the popularity contest.

Now here's the real question - how many of those who answer "Christian" are people who grew up being told they're Christian, never practice and just say that in the same way they say they're part Irish and part Iroquois? Until I moved here I knew 5 or 10 "Christians" for every Christian I knew.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 1:01 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• Amber that was my question... According to that link Christianity is the single most majority, not the actual majority... They only make up 33% of the pie, which is only the majority if you look at it in comparison to individual paths, not if you compare Christianity to Non-Christian...

Comment by SabrinaMBowen (original poster) at 1:03 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• That makes it a plurality, not a majority. Problem is most people don't even know or understand what that means.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 1:21 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• Like NP noted, Christianity is a plurality for the world when all religions are divided. If you divided it into two parts (Christian and non-Christian), non-Christian religions are the majority.

As for specifically the U.S., I'm positive that Christianity is the majority belief.

KelleyP77

Answer by KelleyP77 at 2:27 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• If the World were a village of 1000....

(Kind of OT...but an interesting read.) 

MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 2:46 PM on Jul. 2, 2010