What are some free or cheap things to do with my son this weekend?

We are going to see the fireworks but I also want to do some other things with him and we are a little tight on money right now. Any suggestions? He is 5 years old.

JeremysMom

Asked by JeremysMom at 12:35 PM on Jul. 2, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I have a whole bunch of suggestions for you! I was a single mom to a boy and we loved hanging out together and money was always an issue!

Go to the beach/park and pack a lunch, Have a water gun fight around the outside of your house, have a picnic in your back yard- you can set out a blanket and make sandwhichs, if you have tennis rackets-teach him to play at your local tennis courts, one of our favorite things were to rent a family movie and buy a $5 pizza. They even offer them for less some places. Taking a ride on your bikes together, play catch if he likes sports. Play the wii together if you have it.
    AmyLynn5398

Answer by AmyLynn5398 at 7:18 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• parade or where we are from there are lots of local festivals, cookouts, hog roasts etc. check your local neighborhood or town paper to see what events are goig on in your area
    CLewis1226

Answer by CLewis1226 at 12:39 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• The Park
    Outside to play in the sprinkler
    Take him to the Zoo
    Make Fourth of July crafts to hang around the house.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 1:11 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• Is there a parade? I'm sure there is one close by. Look for more than just 1 firework display in neighboring towns.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 12:44 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• Take him to the park and let him play.. easy, free fun for kids.
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 1:09 PM on Jul. 2, 2010