Necessary to know how to tie shoes?

I was told that this was one of the requirements to start kindergarten. My daughter is struggling with it greatly. I am sure that they are not going to deny her because she can not tie her shoes but if I don't send her in with laces will it really matter? What do you Mommies think?

Melbornj

Asked by Melbornj at 12:37 PM on Jul. 2, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I don't think it should be a requirement to get into school. My boys didn't grasp the concept until later (like 7-8 yrs old)
    adakbride

Answer by adakbride at 12:41 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• I hope it doesn't matter. Most of her shoes are zip up, velcro, or slip on. The one pair she does have with laces, I always double knot so they won't get untied.
    Ki just doesn't want to learn.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 12:39 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• That is young. My daughter learned in 1st grade. And she is very quick with things like that. Don't worry about it. I'm sure most kids won't know how.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 12:42 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• I think it is ridiculous to require someone to be able to tie their shoes when they start kindergarten. My oldest daughter could but my middle daughter can't and she is 7. She is almost there though but has the problem with not making the loop too big so it doesn't tighten down right. But we are working with her on that, but she is going into 2nd grade. yeah I think it is important that they know how to tie their shoes, but not a requirement in kindergarten.
    My3LittleGirls

Answer by My3LittleGirls at 12:43 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• It wasn't a requirement for my son. They just want them to start practicing and zipping coats if they aren't already. My son learned to finally tie in the first grade.

Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 12:43 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• Some schools are very strict about what the children must know. I have heard of schools rejecting children because they could tie their shoes. However, your school hopefully isn't that strict. Call the school and ask for the requirments.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 12:44 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• I personally think it's a stupid requirement.
    buzymamaof3

Answer by buzymamaof3 at 12:51 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• Here it isn't a requirement to start..but it is a goal by the end of the year. Teachers at our school don't tie shoes. Period. Students have to ask another student to help.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 1:20 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• As a first grade teacher, I wish all kids just wore slip on shoes or Velcro...LOL

That is dumb to REQUIRE before starting Kindergarten.

KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 2:18 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• It was a requirement when I was a kid but that's before Velcro became popular on shoes.

My kids didn't even own shoes with laces when they were in kindergarten (except my son) so I never worried about it.  It's none of the school's business as long as they don't wear laced shoes.

My son had laces but we double knotted them and crossed our fingers that they wouldn't come undone.  He had no choice because he had to wear dress shoes and we could only find laced ones.

By 1st grade the teacher said he had to learn, she wouldn't tie them any more (understandable with 10 boys in the class).  He learned at 7 and is a pro now.  My 7yo dd still doesn't know how and she's going into 2nd grade.

justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 2:23 PM on Jul. 2, 2010