Age of Accountability- I need lots of answers please

One night at Church my pastor was talking about age of accountability, where children who are old enough to understand and believe in God, don't, and therefore go to Hell. I thought it was total bullshit. There is a certain AGE? So I asked him, well what about children who have never even heard of God? He told me that they should know, even if they're family believes different. So they go to Hell. Well I thought that was wrong and my pastor basically told me that I was sinning because I should never doubt God and to think that I know better then Him or that he is wrong, was very wrong of me.

So... can someone explain this to me? Is there a certain age? Does God send children to Hell who have never heard of Him? Because that is very wrong. I know that. How could God not see that? I just don't understand how people can believe this all this horse shit.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:48 PM on Jul. 2, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• i would tell your preacher that he has his head so far up his ass that he cant breath..what a dumbass...how does he know?
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 12:50 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• Maybe the age is when the child has heard of God and chooses not to believe. I've heard this before and it makes some sense because God wouldn't send babies to hell, but I am not sure there is a set age.
    AmazingAmanda

Answer by AmazingAmanda at 12:51 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• THIS is exactly why i refuse to go to any church..they give wrong information and tell stories that they know nothing about.
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 12:52 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• The "age of accountability" does not appear anywhere in the Bible that I'm aware of. It's largely a denominational thing- one of those things that they take a couple of verses from all over the Bible and say that's what it means.

Other religions, like Catholicism, Judaism, have rights of passage...to deal with the lack thereof Christianity invented a tradition. The idea is that when the child is old enough to understand sin, they are old enough to go to Hell.

This falls under the "scare them into Heaven" strategy- which is also not mentioned in the Bible. God wants the church to be in love with him, not scared (although he does mention "fear"- it's in a parenting connotation) of him.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 12:54 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• *rites, not rights
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 12:55 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• Sounds like crap to me. As a Christian I believe that if you come to know and accept Jesus Christ at any point in your life you are forgiven and saved. No matter how young you are, no one is sinless.

In Psalm 51:5, David wrote, “Surely I was sinful at birth, sinful from the time my mother conceived me.”

John 14:6 records what Jesus said: “I am the way, and the truth, and the life; no one comes to the Father, except through Me.”

Peter states in Acts 4:12, “Salvation is found in no one else, for there is no other name under heaven given to men by which we must be saved.”

amber710

Answer by amber710 at 12:56 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• So what does he say this magical number is? I'm just curious.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 1:01 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• This is so far out there and I can't even relate at all. I wish I had an answer but I really don't think there is one. Does every different religion believe that the people in other religions won't go to Heaven? Well, I sure hope that there are a lot of heavens, one for each religion. As for Hell, We are all already living in it. There is no alternative to Heaven. It may just take longer for some of us to get there. That's what I choose to believe. Your Pastor is Wrong. His is just trying to instill fear into you and the other parishioners. It's textbook brainwashing/control techniques. Sorry if I offend. That's my opinion & I'm Catholic.

ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 1:04 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• I am shocked that a man of God would say that! Unless you know the bible by heart and know every scripture to the letter one can not say a child will go to hell. There is scripture that states that God LOVES all children. And it clearly states not to JUDGE! Only God almighty has the right to judge who can and can not enter heaven. There are many people who hear of God's word and DENIES God, they are the ones that need to worry and even then only God knows the heart, so for anyone to JUDGE is wrong.
    AmyLynn5398

Answer by AmyLynn5398 at 1:05 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• I believe in an all knowing and loving GOD. Only God can judge. its not for us to know or decide who or at what age one might be going to hell.
    Rnurse

Answer by Rnurse at 1:05 PM on Jul. 2, 2010