Discipline for a 15 month old boy?

I am looking for new ways to discipline my 15 month old, he does not listen to no, and time out does not work. I do not believe in spanking. Please help. I do not want him to get out of control but I don't know what to do. Time outs only consist of me putting him back over and over again and him screaming and when his 1 minute is finally sat out he will go straight back to what he was doing.

BlainesMommy09

Asked by BlainesMommy09 at 12:48 PM on Jul. 2, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• re direct a LOT
    good luck with this one...
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 12:51 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• I tell my boy firmly to not do that and if he continues I pat his bottom and tell him NO! Nothing that is going to kill him and it is not abuse but it is good to help them understand now that your the mom and your incharge. I have only had to pat his bottom once and he has listen ever since.. But since spanking is not what your into. Just tell him NO firmly and take what ever he is playing with away.
    Claudiomom

Answer by Claudiomom at 12:53 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• Redirect and distraction
    buzymamaof3

Answer by buzymamaof3 at 1:01 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• I have been patting my now 19 month old on his butt since he started walking and that always works for me.
    It's hard to put kids that little in time out cuz they just don't want to stay there, I put my baby in time in his high chair, he stays there untill he stops throwing his fits, now when I tell him no he stops, he don't like it but he stops.
    looovemybabies

Answer by looovemybabies at 1:08 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• Redirection worked best for us. Like you, timeouts were useless. Two things I found helpful. 1) Once you've told him no or whatever you don't want him to do, don't repeat yourself. In our case, repeating it just caused him to get mad all over again. Immediately suggest an alternate activity or toy. 2) Walk away and start to play with something, talking about what you're doing, without his being able to see. TOddlers are naturally curious and will likely come see what you're up to. Just make sure you can discretely keep an eye on him!
    momofryan07

Answer by momofryan07 at 6:56 PM on Jul. 2, 2010