Anyone know anything about Phentermine?

I have been taking Phentermine for weight loss and although I have lost quite a bit of weight I am starting to wonder about something. I have read that it is for short term weight loss but the thing is my Dr. has had me on it for atleast 8 months now. Is this too long and will I have side effects or problems because of being on this medication so long.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:52 PM on Jul. 2, 2010 in Diet & Fitness

• I don't know anything about long term side effects, but it is an Amphetamine so you need to be careful. It can become highly addictive. I used it years and years ago, for less than a month, and had fantastic results. The weight stayed off until I got pregnant again, lol. I would take a break from using it. Especially if you've been on it for 8 months already.
    milfalicious08

Answer by milfalicious08 at 12:55 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• Usually quick weight loss is known as a fad diet which isn't the healthiest way to lose weight. Usually Phentermine is used, in combination with diet and exercise, to help you lose weight. It works by decreasing your appetite. Which i don't know if this is a fad diet or not. This medication is sometimes prescribed for other uses; I'd ask your doctor or pharmacist about it.
    JaneWilliams5

Answer by JaneWilliams5 at 12:55 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• Short term because it stops being effective right around the 1 yr mark. I lost about 30 pounds before it just stopped working.
    Orionsgirl

Answer by Orionsgirl at 1:03 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• my dr put me on it because he thinks that my metabilism needs a boost but I am only going to be on it a total of 3 months and no longer. I hear if you stay on it your body gets use to it and you need it in order to simply maintain weight.
    l0v3myg1rl5

Answer by l0v3myg1rl5 at 11:35 AM on Jul. 7, 2010

• My husband's DR will keep you on it as long as you're losing 3 lbs a month.
    He also suggests taking L-Tyrosene with it to keep it effective as you keep taking it.
    mckomet

Answer by mckomet at 10:50 PM on Jul. 7, 2010