Is President Obama a socialist? A liberal?

"Socialism suggests getting rid of capitalism altogether," says Dr. Rachleff. "Mr. Obama is not within a million miles of an ideology like that."

For what it's worth, socialists deny that Obama is one of them – and even seem a bit insulted by the suggestion.

"I have been making a living telling people Obama is not a socialist," says Frank Llewellyn, national director of the Democratic Socialists of America. "It's frustrating to see people using our brand to criticize programs that have nothing to do with our brand and are not even working."

Adds Billy Wharton,co-chair of the Socialist Party USA: "I am not even sure he's a liberal. I call him a hedge fund Democrat."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/csm/310825

So if teh co-chair od the socialist party says his policies are not in any way that of a socialist, why is he still called a socialist?

sweet-a-kins

Asked by sweet-a-kins at 1:02 PM on Jul. 2, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• He's definitely not a socialist, and he's not even particularly liberal. I consider myself a moderate dem and some of his actions are definitely to the right of what I would like to see.
    stacymomof2

Answer by stacymomof2 at 1:13 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• a puppet
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 1:05 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• People say he is a socialist because he wants to pool resources to get things done. I personally don't see why they label him anything. He's a politician - and our president. That's all - he's just trying to do what he thinks needs to be done in order to get our country better. People that cry socialist - don't have any idea what socialism actually is.
    Katt709

Answer by Katt709 at 1:05 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• Um last I heard he was our President!
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 1:14 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• I honestly think it's a waste of breath to worry about what he is. He's our president regardless. Try living with it for another couple years and then start voting for someone else.
    GinNTonic

Answer by GinNTonic at 1:09 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• "People that cry socialist - don't have any idea what socialism actually is."
    __________________
    This is definitely true. A real Socialist, a member of the Socialist party, would push to socialize the banks, like they have in Canada and Sweden. They would raise minimum wage, taxes, push for 100% gov health care and refuse to let private insurance have so much power. That is TRUE socialist agenda, not proposing a few weak regulations. Real socialists would never support Obama, they consider him a corporatist. Sometimes I agree!
    stacymomof2

Answer by stacymomof2 at 1:20 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• well, we know he's an avid golfer.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 1:37 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• A marxist, but it must be implemented slowly and they know that.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 3:29 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• People that cry socialist - don't have any idea what socialism actually is.

"any of various economic and political theories advocating collective or governmental ownership and administration of the means of production and distribution of goods" General Motors, Fannie Mae, Freddie Mac, Sallie Mae, the push for Health Care (remember that was originally intended to be single payer, they had to give it up to squeak it through), centralized government warehousing of medical records, and are you even familiar with S733?  That doesn't make Obama the socialist, though.  He's too much of a narcissist to worry about the greater good, he just pays it lip service when he's told to.

NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 1:13 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• They would raise minimum wage, taxes, push for 100% gov health care and refuse to let private insurance have so much power.

A "true socialist" is not superman. They cannot throw out the constitution because it suits them. What they can do is infiltrate and nudge one of two political parties over an extended period of time, gradually squeezing in their agenda. Just as the Democratic Socialists of America   They tended to be also-rans in most elections over the past 100 some  years.  They got around that by making alliances with whichever Progressive candidate was running at the time.

NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 1:27 PM on Jul. 2, 2010