Is it difficult for you to celebrate the 4th of July due to what's been going on in our country lately?

I've been hearing on the news that it's hard for some people to celebrate the 4th because they are not particularly proud of their country right now. I say, be proud of what you can accomplish by being an American and don't be discouraged by what you can't accomplish. Americans should only believe in success. We just gotta get rid of the heavy blocks of cement that are holding us back.

GinNTonic

Asked by GinNTonic at 1:17 PM on Jul. 2, 2010 in Holidays

• Uh no, we still aren't under British rule, which is what July 4 is about
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 1:18 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• When my family celebrates holidays, we concentrate more on the fact that we are still here, alive and well. It's a chance for us to get together as a family. Everyone us usually so busy, this gives a chance to catch up.
    nmmama09

Answer by nmmama09 at 1:20 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• Never even think about it. It's a day to celebrate our independence as our own Nation, nor ruled by the British or anyone else. There are times I'm not proud of our government, but July 4th isn't about them. It's about the men and women who fought for our independce as a country and celebrating their risks and accomplishment!
    MommyLee08

Answer by MommyLee08 at 1:23 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• no...for me its kinda like christmas. I'm doing it to be with my family. Not to celebrate what the day actually means
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 1:24 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• I can tell you that the eight years that GWB was president, it was hard to celebrate any patriotic holidays. I was not proud to be American during that time. But I stuck it out and any one feeling that way now, will just have to do the same.

Not everyone is going to be happy at every moment in th country, so we have to solder on to make a better country we call all be proud of.
    MillyPontipee

Answer by MillyPontipee at 1:24 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• The only reason i even "celebrate" any holiday is because of my son..he gets excited
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 1:26 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• The USA is still an awesome country to live in, no matter who's "in charge"! We are blessed to live here.
    Plus, any excuse to get together with family and have a cook-out is fine by me! :)
    bluemomma

Answer by bluemomma at 2:22 AM on Jul. 4, 2010

• Our government is by the people and for the people. If we dislike what we see, it is our job to help bring about change. I am proud to be an American!
    MistyandZoesMom

Answer by MistyandZoesMom at 7:25 PM on Jul. 4, 2010

• Are you kidding? I love this country and what it stands for and always have been and always will...., but I'm very conservative.. and I'm guessing perhaps you're not...(??) I plan on teaching my child the importance of love for country and I will always celebrate the 4th.
    momofonelilguy

Answer by momofonelilguy at 8:34 PM on Jul. 4, 2010