How do you make the split?

Ok I went and saw an attorney yesterday just to get some questions answered, I was on my lunch break and emotional so now I need to know if anyone can clarify this for me. The attorney told me normally there is a seperation before a filing. Husband won't leave so that would mean I have to, the lawyer told me I would need to beable to be financially responsible on my own as well as help maintain the house we currently live in until they split everything out. I think I can make it own my own but not if I have to help maintain things at the house too. How do you make the split in this situation? Scared and needing answers. Thanks

MommaB0334

Asked by MommaB0334 at 1:31 PM on Jul. 2, 2010 in Money & Work

• Have you checked with the state to see if they can help you at all? If you qualify you can get help with alot of stuff.....again though that depends on your situation. Is there an option to wait it out ? Meaning until everything at the house is taken care of? Any family you could stay with that would be willing to help you through this?
    That's all I can come up with for now...>Good luck, tough situation...I wish you the best...
    MamaCharity

Answer by MamaCharity at 1:41 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• Every state has different laws and rules. First see you qualify for state help. If you leave and refuse to help keep your present house there isn't much anyone can do. If the house goes into foreclosure however, it will ruin your credit. They will probably award it to your husband if you leave. If you want out, maybe you don't care about the house.
    CorrinaWithrow

Answer by CorrinaWithrow at 10:55 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• What you attorney didn't tell you is: if you leave, chances are you will lose; so if you move out of the house, you can't have the expectation of ever living there again.

Can you and your spouse support two households on your current income?

Answer by rkoloms at 2:48 PM on Jul. 3, 2010