Ok so my ten year old asked what a condom was,

The thing is he asked my husband (not his dad), and he told him he would find out when he got older. So, should I bring up the subject with my son and explain more, or ask my hubby to talk to him and explain more, or just leave it. And, I only asked about me or my hubby, because my Ex does not do anything involved with parenting, nothing.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:31 PM on Jul. 2, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• I dont think it is too young for him to learn. He just doesnt need the "practice safe sex" talk yet. He really needs the "where babies come from" talk. If one of you is more comfortable then the other then that parent should do the talk or if you decide as a couple to do it together then that is great too. He needs to know that you are there to help him so that he doesnt have to just figure it out on his own all of the time. Buy a book about it that is made for kids and give it to him after the talk. Tell him that if he has any questions you can talk again whenever he wants. Always look for oppurtunities to give him little bits of knowledge.
    amber710

Answer by amber710 at 1:42 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• Talk to him about it. Educate him on the subject. That's really the best you can do.
    GinNTonic

Answer by GinNTonic at 1:38 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• I definitely think someone should talk to him. Sexual curiosity should not just be brushed aside. He will go to someone else for answers. I think 10 is old enough to be aware of the basics and the risks of having sex early.
    moniquinha

Answer by moniquinha at 1:34 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• You want to make him feel like he can come to you about these things and feel comfortable. If you don't then by the time he's thinking about it seriously you won't have a clue. 10 is a lot older than it used to be too. I know people who started having sex at 12. Maybe if their parents talked to them it wouldn't have happened. (If that sounds mean I swear it isn't meant to) But yes you both should talk to him. IMO
    jenae_gist

Answer by jenae_gist at 1:38 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• I agree, I think it's best to open with kids about this subject so they are fully educated when the opportunity does present itself, which sadly in today's world is getting younger and younger. I see no harm in you bringing it up to him, I would ask hubby if you think your ten year old would be uncomfortable talking to you about it....Good luck...
    MamaCharity

Answer by MamaCharity at 1:38 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• If he's curious, it's time to talk about it.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 1:40 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• Yeah, thats not something you should brush off. If Bio dad is not involved the your husband is Dad and takes over those responsibilities, it kind of comes with the marriage deal. Since he is Dad its his job to answer questions like that when his son brings them to him. Your son may also feel more comfortable talking to him about sex and condoms because they're both guys.
    Deathlilly

Answer by Deathlilly at 1:40 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• Just bring it up and talk to him about it. Just say "hey, remember what you asked _____ last week? Still curious?" If he says yes, go with it, if he says no, just tell him to come to you with any questions.

Talk to your husband about answering the awkward questions since he's the only male available to do so right now.

Really, 10 is not too young to ask. Hell, my 5 1/2 year old knows what it is, and what it's for.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 1:43 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• Since he asked your husband I would have your husband talk to him about it, if he dosn't find out from you guys he will find out from his friends. When it comes to subjects like that it's best for kids to know they can come to you.
    looovemybabies

Answer by looovemybabies at 1:46 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• Since he asked, you should tell him. He will go ask his friends and get a bunch of wrong information! My 9 year old has already started asking questions and I try to get over my awkwardness and answer truthfully. He knows what sex and birth control is. He'll tell me his older cousin told him this or that and that usually gives me the opportunity for a discussion.
    nmmama09

Answer by nmmama09 at 1:50 PM on Jul. 2, 2010