Recipes for a toddler.

My son is a year and a month, and weighs 18 pounds! He's still gaining weight, but I'd like some recipes to get him to sit still longer and eat all of what he's given. I'm not too worried about it, but he;s getting a little bored with what I'm giving him, and I thought I'd change it up. Also, I don't give him much prepared, salty, fried, or sugary foods. We eat a lot of natural and fresh foods. We do eat processed foods occasionally, though, so ANY recipes are appreciated. Post here, or send a message if you want. Thanks, ladies!

MamaRae85

Asked by MamaRae85 at 1:33 PM on Jul. 2, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Chicken tots.
    Mix half an avocado (mashed up), one egg and one chicken breast ground up so that it becomes pasty like chicken salad. Add seasoning like fresh garlic and salt. I like to use celery salt. It needs to be thick so add more chicken as needed or you can also add a bit of corn or potato flour to thicken it up. Make round balls and mash into patties in a skillet with about a quarter inch of olive oil.
    This is great for fattening up because the olive oil and avocado have lots of good fat. My son loves them.

(You can also add little pieces of veggies to the mixuture like minced carrots or cauliflower.)
    moniquinha

Answer by moniquinha at 1:42 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• Sorry I forgot...fry the patties in olive oil for about 2 minutes on each side until golden brown and crispy.
    moniquinha

Answer by moniquinha at 1:43 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• It might be too much to expect a toddler to sit still and eat all he's given. I know it's frustrating, but I'm trying to accept that. :) 5 mini meals at the table is my current solution.

Yogurt is a BIG hit in our house (if you can still spoon-feed him). I buy greek yogurt (it's thicker and has a bit more protein) and then add pureed cherries, blueberries or mangos. YUM!

Also, my 11 month old seems to always be in the mood for bread-like foods, even when he's not interested in other things. I've been making pancakes (with LOTS of finely shredded zucchini or carrots) or biscuits with cheese and broccoli. Maybe try making the biscuits or cornbread with roasted red peppers and mild chilies if he's okay with a bit more zing. He loves shoveling these things into his mouth. And I love that I've just snuck some veggies into him even when he refuses to eat his green beans on his plate. Plus you can make a bunch and freeze them.
    Sebbiemama

Answer by Sebbiemama at 1:59 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• I saw a book bye that title at Barns and Nobles yesterday. It looked like it had some good ideas and it was like $5-9
    Deathlilly

Answer by Deathlilly at 1:35 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• by*
    Deathlilly

Answer by Deathlilly at 1:36 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• For lunch my son used to love a hotdog (cut to look like an octopus, just split it a couple of times from one end to about 2 inches of the other end before boiling) with mixed veggies.
    mommy11260

Answer by mommy11260 at 1:37 PM on Jul. 2, 2010