What would your future employer think?

What would your potential future employer think of your myspace page? What kind of impression would he/she get? Does it matter?

Asked by bizlady at 10:56 AM on Jun. 28, 2008 in Money & Work

• I have heard that many employers are looking at sites like My Space and Cafe Mom to truly see what that person is made of. Really made of.

Answer by MommasCooCoo at 11:02 AM on Jun. 28, 2008

• MommacCooCoo is exactly right. We had a family member fired last summer because they saw her hoochiemama myspace page and said goodbye. Before you start screaming that's illegal, not id you signed a moral character statement on your application. A LOT of them have that now.

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 11:05 AM on Jun. 28, 2008

• A lot of employers are getting snoopy on my space pages and online forums. I recommend putting your stuff on private and only allowing those who know you to add you. I have a myspace to communicate with family that lives far away and local friends. My cafe mom is for me to reach out and get advice and support during my pregnancy and being a stepparent. I really don't think that's anyone's business but I take extra steps to ensure my privacy.

Answer by LilHellion at 11:20 AM on Jun. 28, 2008

• I definitely know that it's not uncommon for employers to look at those pages. Thankfully I'm not a person who would have anything bad up anyways :)

Answer by MamaPyratekk at 11:55 AM on Jun. 28, 2008

• It might. Depends on the employer and what is on your space. It tells alot about what you are really like doesn't it? Good question, I never thought about it. I read long ago that your answering machine message should be appropriate for your potential employer to her if they call you. So, in that case, we do need to consider whatever we have out there to tell our stories. Nothing is sacred anymore. I hate the intrusion but have to admit, it keeps one honest.

Answer by manna1qd at 1:18 PM on Jun. 28, 2008

• Sadly enough it does matter. Some employers look at that kind of thing when they are looking for a long term employee. Thankfully mine is a tribute to my family. It shows my love for my fiance and my daughter. Nothing raunchy or tasteless.

Answer by HeatherTurner at 1:40 PM on Jun. 28, 2008

• Yes alot of big companies are looking at social networking sites for potential employee's I suggest you keep your profile private toonly your friends, even if you have nothing to hide. It shows a potential employer your a private person, and not "out there"

Answer by vbruno at 2:38 PM on Jun. 28, 2008

• Employers are not supposed to look at public places for your information without your concent BUT they DO... There are also some states that have public information on a persons arrest records and people do look .... If an employer does not have your concent they can not admit to using that information without consequences..

Answer by maddysmommy907 at 2:57 PM on Jun. 28, 2008

• I watch what I put out for others to see online because of the profession I am in. I am not worried about my work, but I do worry about clients finding me online (I work in counseling). My Myspace is set to private.

Answer by AKEllen at 7:34 PM on Jun. 28, 2008

• yes and no... Mine is very honest and states that my husband & my kids come first. a company that would be demanding wouldn't like that, but that wouldn't be the job for me. I once found out a girl backed out of an opportunity (said she had a financial hardship) and he was because she was getting fake boobs.. Well I didn't want her on my team then

Answer by JennBear54 at 9:52 PM on Jun. 28, 2008