How old were you when you lost your virginity? And do you fear that your children will be the same age when they lose theirs?

I'm only asking because alot of people seem freaked out now-a-days by teen sex when that's usually the when people start having sex. I can understand freaking out about 12-14 year olds having sex cause that's way too young, but 16 and over I consider it to be a normal coming of age experience.

The best parents can do when that time comes is talk to their kids about it and educate them on the safety of sex and risks, etc.

GinNTonic

Asked by GinNTonic at 1:42 PM on Jul. 2, 2010 in General Parenting

• I was 15.. & of course I don't want my children to lose their virginity that early, but now-a-days, it happens & there isn't anything I can do, but encourage protection when the time comes.
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 1:43 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• I was 13 and I pray each and every night none of my children do like I did..
    Anonymous

• I was 18 and in college. No, I wouldn't worry if my daughter waited that long.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 1:44 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• I was 18. I would consider myself very lucky if my kid waited that long. :-)
    But, when she feels she's ready, when she can talk to me w/out blushing about birth control and condoms and safe sex, and when she can have a rational conversation with the guy about it and discuss it while their clothes are on then I will consider her ready. Whatever age that comes with.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 1:45 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• I was 14- raped by my 18 year old bf.

I expect my kids to experiment, its what they ALL do (especially the ones who are micromanaged by their overbearing parents who believe that they can somehow control their childrens biological functions- THOSE are the kids who give birth in bathroom stalls).
    THAT said, I sure as hell hope that they don't wind up in the same position as I did.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 1:45 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• I was 26.

I would not worry if they waited til then.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 1:46 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• I was 16 and i hope that my chilrdren would wait a bit longer than that but i know 16 is usually when it happens
    giovannismom19

Answer by giovannismom19 at 1:46 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• Sorry to hear about that Obby
    GinNTonic

Comment by GinNTonic (original poster) at 1:47 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• I was 17 and in college. I would be happy if my kids waited that long.

Obby - HUGS!
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 1:53 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• I was 15, a little pressured but it was ultimately my choice. I didn't regret it until recently. I really wish I could be able to say hubby was my one and only partner. I hope I can convey to my dd just how great that would be.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 1:53 PM on Jul. 2, 2010