two food questions in one

how do you replace oil in cake mxes and how do you make frozen blueberries sweet.

dynameteduck

Asked by dynameteduck at 1:44 PM on Jul. 2, 2010 in Food & Drink

• You can take a plain cake mix and add a can of diet soda ... any flavors for each ... and bake it as directed. It comes out sooo good, moist and yummy! ~ Its an old trick from Weight Watchers :)

For blueberries, sprinkle a little sugar (or other sweetener) on them and let them sit for 10-15 minutes.
    christyg

Answer by christyg at 1:47 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• You can replace the oil with applesauce ccup for cup I think. And as far as the blueberries, I suggest letting them thaw with about 2 Tbsp of sugar over the top.
    My3LittleGirls

Answer by My3LittleGirls at 1:48 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• oil is replaced with an equal part fruit puree. a mild tasting one (like applesauce) is best. The only way to sweeten blueberries is to add honey, sugar, or another sweetener to them. do it sparingly, to tast.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 1:48 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• I always use regular, sugar free applesauce in place of the oil. It makes it so yummy. And like pp said, take just the box of cake mix and one can of diet soda and bake it. Don't add anything else to it. Just, don't use colored soda for a white cake, it comes out looking weird and dirty.
    I use splenda for the berries. Very good.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 1:49 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• I use plain greek yogurt instead of oil, though I 've never made a cake that called for oil.

I love frozen blueberries straight from the bag; look for blueberries marked "wild"

Answer by rkoloms at 1:50 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• apple souce, yougurt

http://community.tasteofhome.com/forums/p/116319/1666269.aspx

http://www.google.com/#hl=en&source=hp&q=how+do+you+replace+oil+in+cake+mixx&aq=f&aqi=g10&aql=&oq=&gs_rfai=&fp=4cb5f508e49085f6

as for your other question what I would do is prinkle them with some sugar and let them sit for a while and then use them for whatever your going to use them for

looovemybabies

Answer by looovemybabies at 1:50 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• I read that you can use avocado to replace oil in cake mixes. I have never tried it. I try to use greek yogurt most of the time to replace oil.
    adakbride

Answer by adakbride at 1:51 PM on Jul. 2, 2010