Is this even leagal?

ok so my 11 yr old sister moved in with our 23 yr old brother and his girlfriend because our father and my stepmother have a horrible drug addiction and cannot provide or care for her. Now i thought this was a good thing till my sister told me that all she does there is babysit my brother and his girlfriends 5 kids all under the age of 6 and its not like for a few min while the GF runs to the store or something. my brother works fulltime and alot of overtime GF does not work. my sis told me she is with the kids all day most days. maybe its just me but i dont think its right for an 11 yr old to miss out on her summer because the kids mother wants to run the streets (or whatever it is she does all day most days). I also believe this is breaking the law but i am not sure about that.

Mom_o_twinboys

Asked by Mom_o_twinboys at 1:45 PM on Jul. 2, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• 11 is a bit young for all that. I would check your local laws.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 1:46 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• Babysitting laws vary state to state but no i don't think that's fair to her at all.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 1:47 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• Most states have an age limit on babysitting. Check your state laws. Talk to your brother about making sure your sis gets to do fun things too.
    Nyx7

Answer by Nyx7 at 1:47 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• I'm not sure it's illegal..maybe neglect charges on the mother..
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 1:47 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• check your local laws. I know my mom got in trouble for leaving us home alone while working, the law was you had to be 12 to be left alone, and I'm pretty sure there was something in it for watching other kids/siblings.
    DarkFaery131

Answer by DarkFaery131 at 1:48 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• Like lovinangels said, check your laws. That does seem like a lot of babysitting for an 11 year old to do. My 12 yr old niece babysits my kids during the summer but she asks me if she can and I pay her.
    nmmama09

Answer by nmmama09 at 1:48 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• Just because it isn't fair or right doesn't mean it's not legal. If anything there could be neglect charges but that would have to be proven. It WOULD be illegal if your parents have been through the court system and they were ordered parental rights. Their contract with the court would have to be looked at. If they aren't in the court system I stick with my "It may not be fair or right but it doesn't make it illegal" statement.
    firenicecream

Answer by firenicecream at 1:49 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• I would call the local public defender's office or the county attorney and ask about this situation. Either one of those should be able to tell you what the law is. Taking care of that many children would be akin to running a private daycare, and I'm sure that isn't legal. It's also not good for an eleven-year old to be saddled with that kind of responsibility, even if it should prove to be legal, which I doubt.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 1:50 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• Why don't you take her in? That is not what a 11 yr old should be doing. Your brother and girlfriend need a reality check.
    itsallabtthem84

Answer by itsallabtthem84 at 1:50 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• That depends. is she getting paid or is she doing it for free? If she's doing it for free than yeah it's just fucked up and wrong and they're just using her. An 11 year should not have to babysit for free.
    GinNTonic

Answer by GinNTonic at 1:50 PM on Jul. 2, 2010