My DH thinks I baby my son

because at night, I still lay down with him for a minute, sing him a song I have sang him since he was little, and rub his back. He is 10 years old, I am up there like all of 10 minutes. Do you think there is anything wrong with this?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:52 PM on Jul. 2, 2010 in Just for Fun

• i think that is great. I am sure your son loves it and it comforts him. A child will truly never grow out of needing his mother's love an touch. that is what a mother's love is for. But babying him? no indeed. I think your giving him a lot more security and sense of self for the future... :)
    midnight11287

Answer by midnight11287 at 2:03 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• difference between mom and dad
    or male and female

no very normal (but i am a woman)
    ask a man you will get different answer
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 1:53 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• I would say its probably not uncommon.
    Not something I would do though but thats me. Everyone is different in thought and deed.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 1:54 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• No big deal if it's just 10 minutes.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 1:56 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• Men always have a different definition of "baby." I don't lay with my 9 year old, or sing to him. I discipline him more than SO does and he STILL says I baby him! I asked him to give me an example of when I do that and he said "You're his mom, so that automatically means you baby him." Whatever dude.
    I think your son is lucky you still do this for him. I'm so tired by the end of the day, all I do is say "Time for bed goodnight love you!"
    nmmama09

Answer by nmmama09 at 1:57 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• My question is, is it something you and your son both want and can he go to bed/sleep without it? He's starting to get to an age where his mom lying down with him and rubbing his back and singing him to sleep might become a little embarrassing. Plus he needs to be able to put himself to sleep without someone rubbing his back.

It's not something we do here, we do hugs and kisses and the kids go up to their rooms by themselves and get into bed. But if you and more importantly your son are good with it, then fine. Just keep in mind that someday (sooner than you will like) he won't want you cuddling in his bed with him.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 2:01 PM on Jul. 2, 2010