What do you know about Anime?

My daughter has been checking Anime books out from the library and drawing all those spikey-haired characters. I guess her drawings are good, but I really just don't get it. What is the appeal?

TweenAndTwinMom

Asked by TweenAndTwinMom at 2:03 PM on Jul. 2, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• Actually, anime are the animated shows (what we might call cartoons). The books are manga. Here in America, animated shows are still mostly intended for kids, but in Japan they are for all ages. Anime deals with much deeper, more complex themes than most American animated shows. The same with manga. They are more varied and complex than American comic books.
    jessradtke

Answer by jessradtke at 11:47 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• I don't get it either but as long as she's checking out the general anime that's fine but they even have anime porn! What's up with that?

Answer by admckenzie at 2:05 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• lol.. my fiance is into that stuff. I never knew anything about it. Now, there are some anime that I cant live without. Like Bleach.. wow I love it! It is just really fun! But I am picky of what I like. A lot of it is stupid.
    midnight11287

Answer by midnight11287 at 2:05 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• I like anime, mainly for the style of drawing. A good anime has really good art, and I like looking at it :) It's like comic books, just a different art style. Sometimes the writing is good, too, but some things get lost in the transalation to English :(
    You might want to skim through what she is checking out, though- anime was not originally intended for kids and sometimes the "filters" that make it kid friendly don't catch everything.
    preacherskid

Answer by preacherskid at 2:39 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• ^^^^ what she said.

My kids were into it big time for about 2-3 years, one has moved on and the other just enjoys it on occasion. I personaly don't get it, but it won't harm them or anyone else so no biggy.
    luckysevenwow

Answer by luckysevenwow at 10:47 AM on Jul. 4, 2010