My niece wants to live with us what should I do

Yesterday my 18 year old niece called me crying and saying she broke up with her boyfriend. She and her boyfriend were really close and were together for about a year. She also told me that her mom wanted her to live on her own and get married so she couldn't live with her,then she said if she could live with me. I didn't even know what to say. The problem is that I am pregnant and I life would be more hectic because someone is renting our house and I have no extra rooms. Also my niece won't have a place to stay. What should I do.

mommyofamanda8

Asked by mommyofamanda8 at 2:06 PM on Jul. 2, 2010 in Relationships

• I'd tell her she could sleep on the couch until she can get on her feet..
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 2:08 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• Tell her no. Part of growing up is figuring out things. She's going from person to person to live off them. She needs to grow up and find her own home. If she doesn't want to live alone then she can find a room mate. I'd go on a college campus and get a room mate from their housing bulletin board.

Answer by admckenzie at 2:09 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• She is family. In the "olden days" entire families shared one room to sleep often overlapping each other.
    ABusyBee

Answer by ABusyBee at 2:09 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• I could never turn my back on family.. She is just having a hard time & needs a little help!
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 2:09 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• I would probably say she could sleep on the couch too. Lay down some rules with her and your expectations of her. Saying she can stay till she gets on her feet could be awhile.

Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 2:12 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• People can also use a hand up sometimes-she is 18! That is still a baby regardless of what the law says! So....let her be homeless? That'll teach her! to HATE her family and that she is clearly unloved! Make her keep the house clean as rent. My inlaws let us do this for a year and we saved up the down payment for our house which we could never have done on our own.
    ABusyBee

Answer by ABusyBee at 2:12 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• thats your niece sometimes people need a helping hand. me and my ex were pregnant when we broke it off my sister has 4 kids and opened her door to me gave me a time limit plus expected rent for the 2 months i stayed with her i would do it in a heart beat for someone in my family!
    jennette0704

Answer by jennette0704 at 2:15 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• If you got no extra room then you can’t. You certainly don’t need the added stress with an young adult in your home. Just consider the extra expense of having her there. If she can pay rent and has a job then consider it very carefully but she’s got a mother let her help her.
    musicmom08

Answer by musicmom08 at 2:19 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• I would let her as long as she follows the house rules and holds a job (showing she is trying to be independent- not just working and blowing all the money!) and shares her duty of household responsibilities (less chores if she helps pay bills more chores if she cant) and all should try to get along as family should - she shouldn't just be a live in maid but she needs to show responsibility and that she is grateful and you will be teaching her something by showing her this.
    hotrodmomma

Answer by hotrodmomma at 2:21 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• i would let her come live with you sounds like mom doesnt give a shit and only wants her to get married to get rid of her.....i would bring her in and give her some ground rules like getting a job/going to collage and a time limit as to when she has to move out.....good luck
    cara124

Answer by cara124 at 2:27 PM on Jul. 2, 2010