SO get vasectomy?

we dont want anymore children we have one right now he is 1.5 but we know we dont want more.... for sure.... 100% all the way... what are the requirements of getting a vasectomy? i know my doctor said i could not get it done yet because of my age im almost 22 and becuase i only had one kiddo but is it diff for men?

jaksonsmommy

Asked by jaksonsmommy at 2:10 PM on Jul. 2, 2010 in Health

• I really am not sure. I think it sucks you can't get it done if you want to. It should be your decision.
    KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 2:13 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• I'm pretty sure he can just go get one. I knew a guy who didn't have any kids and got one.
    AmazingAmanda

Answer by AmazingAmanda at 2:14 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• Years ago when my husband had his done you had to at least 25. If you already had children the youngest had to be at least 1 yr old. We had to wait until ours was 3 though because we lost a son in between. 22 is really young to decide what you want for the rest of your life. Maybe you could do something like mirena for a few years and then revisit the idea. Please don't be offended. I'm not saying you don't know what you want. I just know I made some choices when I was 22-23 that I was sure were right for me. 20 yrs later it turned out they weren't. Just have no regrets I guess is what I mean.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 2:52 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• i have the mirena but having problems with it and i appreciate your answer thank you for the advice... but i do have the mirena and seem to be having complications with it and i have know way to many people get pregnant on the pill and the shot doesnt work for me im not sure what to do we were going to wait til the iud was finished and then he would get snipped but right now we dont know if the iud is going to work much longer
    jaksonsmommy

Comment by jaksonsmommy (original poster) at 2:59 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• Hmmm, never heard about the minimum age, could it just be that doctor? I had my tubes tied when I was 25, the doctor just asked if I was sure, didn't even ask DH's input (Ive heard some dr.'s ask the spouse). It was done the day after I had DD. Maybe check with another dr. to see if they will do it.
    CaLizzyMom

Answer by CaLizzyMom at 4:27 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• I've been looking and looking and I can't find anywhere that says you have to be a certain age (other than 18), most of the time the dr. goes by his own discretion, so you might just have to look around to see if you can find a dr. that will do it.
    CaLizzyMom

Answer by CaLizzyMom at 4:38 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• Here they go by 26 and 2 kids before they will do it

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 4:56 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• Different doctors have different rules. I refused to let my hubby get a vasectomy because of the possible consequences if you get it done in your mid-20s. However, I wasn't comfortable with a tubal ligation because I know so many women who get pregnant 10 years down the road (actually it is about the same for vasectomies too). I heard about Essure so I went with that. It can be done in office and it doesn't have the chance of self reversal like traditional methods do.

Most doctors refused to perform Essure on me though. I was 21 with 2 kids when I was looking. Every doctor I went to said no. Until I found one that said yes. That is the key, you HAVE to keep looking if you are serious.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 5:56 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• Your body, your choice. You're a legal adult. You can go to war, you can drink, you can vote, but you can't decide that you're done having kids? Find a new Doc! Oh, and I'd call around and find out who will do a vasectomy. My dh had it done, it wasn't hard, but he was a bigger baby than I was after having a c-section. :) Just be prepared!
    Mom_2_cuties

Answer by Mom_2_cuties at 8:45 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• It's different state to state and doctor to doctor. My husband had his at 26, the day after our second baby was born. I had to sign off that I agreed and consented and understood that it was permanent.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 1:45 AM on Jul. 3, 2010