Is It Okay For A 12 yr old to watch a 5yr old, 4 yrold, 2 yr old?

This lady lets her son who smashed his brother finger in a fold up chair, burn him 2 times on 2 different occasion watch her younger children. I guess it depends on what state you live in. But he has been watching his siblings since the age of 10. Thats wrong in my opinion! My mom did that to me and I couldnt do anything or go anywhere without watching my sister and brother. I think its unfair to the child..what do you think?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:15 PM on Jul. 2, 2010 in Just for Fun

• my almost 12 year old can watch her sibling for short periods of time. like if i go for a 15 minute run. or to the dairy mart. never more than 15 minutes because even though its legal, the most responsible 12 year old is still not responsible.
    cassie_m

Answer by cassie_m at 2:17 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• I think that is just too much for a 12 yr old. Im sure 3 kids is alot to handle in the first place so i wouldn't make my 12 yr old watch all 3 of those kids!
    giovannismom19

Answer by giovannismom19 at 2:18 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• i wouldn't allow that. Legal or not, i wouldn't trust a 12yr old to watch his/her siblings
    MomOfDagJag

Answer by MomOfDagJag at 2:18 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• I answered in another question that my 12 yr old niece watches my kids. They are 9, 5 and 3. My 9 yr old is old enough to take care of himself, he just needs someone there to keep him out of trouble. And my niece takes very good care of them, they love her! I also pay her for it. So it would depend on the laws in your state but if he is hurting the younger kids, I would NOT let him babysit!!
    nmmama09

Answer by nmmama09 at 2:18 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• 12 too young for that many kids

my step son is almost 14 and we let me watch out three yr old, when we are outside in the yard, or if she is sleeping and go to store to get milk (6 minutes for errand)

we also have a ten yr old girl, nad if she is home, we will not do this at all, her in the mix makes him have to deal with a sister that pushes every button AND watch a sleeping three yr old for even a minute-no, not in our house, too much to ask of teen child
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 2:18 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• When I was 13 or 14 I had a babysitting job watching kids about that age, but that isn't what you are describing. Siblings really can't watch siblings unless there is a much bigger age difference, too much rivalry.

LoveMyDog

Answer by LoveMyDog at 2:19 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• My son watched my two daughters when he was 10 - 15 but he was a better babysitter than the adults I paid! He didn't mind. He was very mature. They love him and didn't give him a hard time. I tried not to use him unless it was necessary. Kids still need to be kids. If the child wants to watch younger kids that's fine but if they don't, then there are major problems. They get angry at the adult and take it out on the kids.

Answer by admckenzie at 2:20 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• Not a good idea.
    SHAEDON

Answer by SHAEDON at 2:24 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• no boys that age are not able to watch young kids...and if he has hurt the kids before i would be reporting her to CPS
    cara124

Answer by cara124 at 2:29 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• i babysat for my sisters from the age nine on. if the child is proving hes not resonsable enough i think its wrong but if hes responsable who are we to say anything. i loved babysitting i would make $100 for a weekend. so it all boils down to responsability sounds like that kid is not ready or should not period
    jennette0704

Answer by jennette0704 at 2:29 PM on Jul. 2, 2010