Is there such a thing as a no cook jam?

I've got lots of fresh but frozen strawberries but I dont' want to go through all the canning process
Any ideas?

itsmesteph11

Asked by itsmesteph11 at 2:24 PM on Jul. 2, 2010 in Food & Drink

• Ball has a No Cook Freezer Jam pectin. It uses 1 1/2 c. sugar for every 4 c. crushed fruit. You add sugar & pectin to the fruit, stir and pour into jars. I have used this for YEARS for my strawberry & peach jam. I find the envelopes in the canning section of local stores. The jam is very good, not as thick as a store-bought jam, more like preserves but we love it.
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 10:31 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• DarkFaery131

Answer by DarkFaery131 at 2:27 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• not jam but you could add a bit of sugar and freeze i have done with apples, sugar and cinnamon freeze them then made pie later

fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 2:29 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• OK all the recipes I'm finding, I guess you have to at least boil the water for the sure gel/pectin
    DarkFaery131

Answer by DarkFaery131 at 2:29 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• actually scratch that, it says no cook but you have to cook it...
    DarkFaery131

Answer by DarkFaery131 at 2:28 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• Never heard of it.
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 2:35 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• I bought a no-cook pectin last year that all I had to do was crush the berries, add the pectin & sugar, let sit, and put up. I don't can - I made a TON of regular (cooked) jam last year and froze it all in freezer jars - cooked quickly, didn't have to deal with canning. I didn't like the no-cook jam, the texture and flavor were different and I found it really slimy instead of smooth.
    4time-mom

Answer by 4time-mom at 11:27 PM on Jul. 2, 2010