How do you feel about this?

In top suburban schools across the country, the valedictorian, a beloved tradition, is rapidly losing its singular meaning as administrators dispense the title to every straight-A student rather than try to choose the best among them.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/06/27/education/27valedictorians.html?_r=2

Mommy_0f_many

Asked by Mommy_0f_many at 2:36 PM on Jul. 2, 2010 in

• I think it's stupid.
    andrea96

Answer by andrea96 at 4:37 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• The Title should go to the student with the highest GPA. If there is a tie: then it makes sense to have more than one Valedictorian, but if you factor in things like community service, and other "extra"s that aren't required you could probably work it down to one or the other. There's always salutatorian too; no need to make everyone feel good about themselves, that won't happen in college.
    Chirper79

Answer by Chirper79 at 2:42 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• Kids will not try as hard as they had in the past.. and what good does it do if the Val, Sal and master of ceremonies aren't at eachother's throats.... I kid, I kid.. I think they should keep the tradition as it has been all this time....
    LoveRed71

Answer by LoveRed71 at 2:38 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• it's going to make people quit trying so hard. It completely down grades the accomplishment that that person had.
    My3LittleGirls

Answer by My3LittleGirls at 2:38 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• That's just dumb! Hell, that's the reason so many people passed in my school, we were all trying to beat everyone else to be the best!
    If they just give it to every person with an A, what's the point?
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 2:37 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• Chirper took the words right out of my mouth. Exactly. More of the dumbing down of America.. Heaven forbid someone stands out as 'the best' because that means someone is 'the worst'. Get over it folks..thats real life. By treating our kids to the 'everyone gets a trophy" mentality we do them a huge disservice.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 2:46 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• I think that is just laziness on the school.
    itsallabtthem84

Answer by itsallabtthem84 at 2:45 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• Many high schools no longer have class ranks. Should a student with As in regular classes be ranked lower than a student with Bs and Cs in AP classes?

Answer by rkoloms at 9:32 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• Hmm. I believe valedictorian should remain honored.
    txdaniella

Answer by txdaniella at 5:08 PM on Jul. 4, 2010

• The title should be awarded to the student who not only has the best GPA, but also is a well-rounded individual. Speaking as someone who was valedictorian it is work and should be honored. Not something handed out for good grades alone. I was in several honor groups, took advanced classes, participated in school clubs and did volunteer work through out high school (before it was required for graduating).
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 11:19 AM on Jul. 13, 2010