Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

2 Bumps

If you just found out that your kid was in a gang what would you do. She's not going to leave they seem to be her family and I don't exisit in it.

She's not going to leave, they seem to be her 2nd family and I don't exsisit in it. These people are the kind (I think) that if they found out I might report them to the police they would hurt me or my kid. What would you do?

Answer Question

Asked by miss_yancey at 2:42 PM on Jul. 2, 2010 in General Parenting

Level 4 (51 Credits)
Answers (12)
  • How old is your kid? younger then 18 you call the shots.. and if you have to lock your kid somewhere then do it.
    I would def report them.. get some kind of protection from the police. They know what they are capable off.

    Answer by LoveRed71 at 2:44 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

  • It would depend on her age. If she is of legal age to make her own decisions, there's probably not a lot you can do. If she is still a minor, I think there's a lot you can do.

    Answer by NannyB. at 2:45 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

  • If she was a minor, I would pack her up and move away. Far away where there would be no chance for retribution for leaving the gang.

    Answer by MillyPontipee at 2:48 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

  • Relocate her, I mean literally, to another region of the country. My cousin went through wilderness boot camp and that was their first rule for every kid who went, no matter if they were there for being on drugs in gangs or just acting out in general. The only way you can force her to break ties is take her completely out of the environment, and that's how it worked there. The parents who let their kids come home and didn't move had kids who fell back with old friends. The ones who sent kids to live with family out of state or moved the entire family out of state had kids who grew up.

    Answer by NotPanicking at 2:49 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

  • If I could vote up NP's answer a million times I would.

    Answer by milfalicious08 at 2:53 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

  • Me too Milfalicious!

    Answer by MillyPontipee at 2:54 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

  • I agree with moving her away, even if you can't move with her. She will hate it but will hopefully come to understand why. Also, consider what made these people so appealing so that you can try and reduce their stronghold.

    Answer by Awakened1 at 2:56 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

  • I would go to the authorities immediatley. Tell them of your fears of them hurting your daughter and family. Maybe they will help you to relocate. That is so scary. I hope I never have to be faced with something like that. I will say a prayer for your daughter, you and your family. Hang in there and stay strong.

    Answer by kimberlyinberea at 2:56 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

  • I agree with the pp, while you may have fears about what IF you tell.. my fears would be more towards what IF you don't do something. Go to the athorities, tell them you daughter is in a gang and you are desprate to get her out and get her help. They should be able to direct you to the right resources. Good luck.

    Answer by daughteroftruth at 3:05 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

  • I was just reading some of the answers and some of them are good, but if the child frame of mind is not changed 9 times out of 10 they will result back to te same behavior. When it comes to a child joining a gang it is almost always because there is something that they are not receiving at home. The first thing to do i find out what is wrong or missing. I know this because my sibling and i joined a gang. We were military brats an moved some of everywhere. I got out because I was trying to find who i was but my brother got in one the next place we went. Our frame of mind did not change mind just went to being a follower and his got him locked up and my baby sister joined the opposite set then my brother and i were on.

    Answer by 1Gfchild at 3:07 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.