Anyone know of any have any natural bug repellents. Ants, ticks, misquitos etc.

CLewis1226

Asked by CLewis1226 at 2:44 PM on Jul. 2, 2010 in Health

• My family uses vanilla for mosquitos, and vinegar for ants- it covers their scent trails. Ticks, no clue, but if you are going into an area with ticks, tuck you pants int your shoes and wear a hat, and check after you get inside- if one has latched on rubbing alcohol will usually get them to let up so you can pull them out with tweezers.
    preacherskid

Answer by preacherskid at 3:00 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• Skin so soft lotion works really good for me and I use it on dd too and we dont get bit by anything when we use it
    Rockabye

Answer by Rockabye at 2:54 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• Garlic is good to keep away mosquitoes but sulphur pills works great on most bugs!
    My3LittleGirls

Answer by My3LittleGirls at 2:45 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• Plain old Listerine in a spray mist bottle is very good for keeping mosquitoes away. Also, if you are going to be out in weeds, say picking blackberries or something. You can soak an old cloth in kerosene and tie it around your ankles to ward of ticks and chiggers.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 2:47 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• i heard dryer sheets are good to keep skeeters away
    from martha stewart years ago, so must be true
    do not remember if she had certain fragrance or brand, or what is in dryer sheets that work
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 2:47 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• have no clue, would like to know. There has to be something better than stinky expensive bug spray.

youngmom33

Answer by youngmom33 at 2:55 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• These are some real good tips.
    mamaofficer

Answer by mamaofficer at 2:58 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• Skin So Soft oil from Avon the original scent...works wonders I even dab alittle on my dogs coats. ;)
    Butterfly1108

Answer by Butterfly1108 at 2:58 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• Yoiu got some good ideas here. Tick are such a pain now. I don't ever remember hearing about those when I was growing up. Found 4 of them the last camping trip we took.... YUKIE'
    Judmr

Answer by Judmr at 4:15 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• Just have to share.. Judmr, the first time my brothers and I found out that ticks existed was right after we moved back to MO. We had been living in KS, a part with very few highly wooded areas for ticks, and a tick dropped down on my brother's neck from a tree one day when we were playing outside. We saw it, couldn't .id. it, and freaked out; went running into the house yelling for our mom that there was a weird bug on our brother....lol. She just looked at it, plucked it off his neck, and flushed it, then explained what it was to us. Your comment reminded me of that. :)
    preacherskid

Answer by preacherskid at 4:20 PM on Jul. 2, 2010