What is a "fair" amount for child support?

Just curious about what your thoughts are on the subject.

kjbennett26

Asked by kjbennett26 at 2:52 PM on Jul. 2, 2010 in General Parenting

• That's a good question I think the law should look at the age of the child. The older they are the more they cost.
    mamaofficer

Answer by mamaofficer at 2:55 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• 12 1/2%

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 2:53 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• In my state, I think it's 30% of the "absent" parents income. My ex husband pays $800 for our two kids, and pays $500 for his son from a previous relationship.
    milfalicious08

Answer by milfalicious08 at 2:55 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• Whatever amount it takes to feed, clothe and house whatever number of children a father has. My husband has always provided 100% because we chose for me to stay home and take care of his children, and he chose to provide for his family. Also, child support should include the emotional, physical, and psychological support of those children, which are equally important as the financial. Anthing less than that will always be too little, and if you can't get that, then I suppose that whatever amount you can squeeze out of the father should be allowable, although it will never be "fair"--at least not to the child.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 2:59 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• I dunno but I think about half of what it costs for clothes books toys and other expenses for the child.
    Rockabye

Answer by Rockabye at 3:04 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• Honestly, if people would just simply take care of their children w/o being asked, there would be no need for support... But I think it should be based on the childs age and current needs...
    believejohn316

Answer by believejohn316 at 3:07 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• 25% of the non custodial parent's income.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 3:27 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• A fair amount can only be determined on an individual basis with all circumstances taken into consideration. Of course the state has no time for that but what is fair varies from case to case.
    katie23

Answer by katie23 at 6:03 PM on Jul. 2, 2010