S/O from drinking enough water...........can they drink too much?

So I know another mom said in that convo to cut their weight in half and that is what they should drink.

Is it bad if they drink more than their weight totals?

So my son is 2 and weighs 27lbs and only drinks water during the day. He drinks at least 45oz a day usually. Sometimes more, and sometimes less but never less than 30oz. So is that a bad or good thing? JW :D (I am not freaking our or anything, BTW)

chelleybeans

Asked by chelleybeans at 3:25 PM on Jul. 2, 2010 in Kids' Health

• i don't think it's possible to drink too much water
    skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 3:27 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• LOL! I guess that is true and you are right, LOL! Unless he did it all in one sitting. Remember that chick from cali who died from water poisoning? But I am not worried about that, LOL!
    chelleybeans

Comment by chelleybeans (original poster) at 3:28 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• It can be dangerous because it can mess up your electrolytes (salts) and overtax the kidneys.

Is he excessively thirsty? If so it could be a sign of diabetes.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 3:28 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• Yeah, I knew that would come up, he is in the process of being tested for it. His endo believes he is in the early stages of diabetes.
    chelleybeans

Comment by chelleybeans (original poster) at 3:29 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• yes you can drink too much water,, just curious is he thristy alot? You might want to get him checked for diabetes,, a quart of water isn't too much,, but constant thirst can me a problem,, hugs mamma!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 3:34 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• If you drink too much you start flushing the good stuff from your body as well; a very small child or baby can actually have a fluid build-up from too much water in their tissues- they had a few cases of overly watered down formula here and the babies had water in their lungs because somehow their tissues got over-saturated or something.
    preacherskid

Answer by preacherskid at 3:35 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• Thanks, and yeah, he is thirsty a lot. We are in the process of testing for diabetes. To me it's just been normal for him but it looks like apparently it isn't, LOL! His doctors do know though, they don't know how much he drinks though. Maybe I should bring that up.
    chelleybeans

Comment by chelleybeans (original poster) at 3:36 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• preachers kid, I didn't know that. I hope those babies are ok.
    chelleybeans

Comment by chelleybeans (original poster) at 3:37 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• I think all of them got better, but it was enough for ALL the local news stations to do PSAs and a month's worth of parenting info on why NOT to give really little kids watered down formula or tons of water even in the summer.
    preacherskid

Answer by preacherskid at 4:07 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• Defnilely tell his doctor how much he's drinking.

Best of luck, mama. I hope it's not diabetes.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 4:09 PM on Jul. 2, 2010