Cruise...

Would you rather go on a cruise to just to a beach/resort. What is the positives and negatives of each in your opinion..any help would be appreciated. Feel free to say which cruises and resorts are your favorite!

ria7

Asked by ria7 at 3:32 PM on Jul. 2, 2010 in Travel

• I think it depends what you're trying to get out of a vacation. When I go on adult vacations we always stay at an all-inclusive resort- all you can eat and drink!! I'm takinmg my son on a cruise this summer- my first cruise- I just thought it would be more kid friendly than a resort.
    skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 3:38 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• skittles- where have you stayed at resorts? I was looking at punta cana but I would like suggestions of places you have enjoyed.
    ria7

Comment by ria7 (original poster) at 3:41 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• I'm glad someone ask this question.
    mamaofficer

Answer by mamaofficer at 3:43 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• We'll going to a beach/resort is fine to get some sun and fun on the beach. There are some pretty gorgeous beaches out there. However, wouldn't it be a little more worthwhile if there were other forms of entertainment there that you found enjoyable and good food too?
    CafeMochaMom1

Answer by CafeMochaMom1 at 3:48 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• we done both, Stayed at a great family resort in the Keys, learned you really have to watch those no cash use your key situations with kids. Just did a cruise to Mexico with friends, loved that. There have been vacations where all we want to do is vegetate, for that we go to one place (resort/spa or moms on OBX) but other times I want the variety (cruise, vegas). Kids do need more "entertainment" most of the time so either works as long as it is child and/or family oriented.

emptynstr

Answer by emptynstr at 3:55 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• I've been to jamaica, punta cana, playa de carmen and cancun. Playa is by far my favorite- I've been there 3 or 4 times. Punta Cana was beautiful but the workers at the resort weren't very friendly.
    skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 4:05 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• We've researched going all inclusive and it is cheaper for us to go on a 7 day cruise. We cruise a lot. We are taking our girls on their first cruise in November to the Caribbean...it is on Carnival and we are going to Costa Maya Mexico, Cozumel Mexico, Belize and Honduras. This will be my 11th cruise, Dh's 20+ or so and the girls can't wait to go on their first. We always get a balcony as well..the 4 of us are going for $2500 for 7 days. We most likely will not drink much since the kids will be with us, nor gamble much either, but we will shop and do excursions... the entire vacation for us will most likely be around $3500 for the week for the 4 of us for everything.I prefer knowing that I will go to different places while on vacation as we love to travel to other countries. I've been to: Puerto Rico, St. Thomas, Guadeloupe, Grenada, Venezuela, Jamaica, Haiti, Caymans, Mexico, Aruba, Belize and I'm sure that I'm missing some.
    mcginnisc

Answer by mcginnisc at 8:33 AM on Jul. 3, 2010

• I've cruised on Carnival, Celebrity and Royal Caribbean.. Carnival is not my fave, but it is great for kids so that is why we are taking Carnival on this one... Celebrity has beautiful ships and Royal is probably my favorite of all of them. I love to cruise..it is by far my favorite way to travel.
    mcginnisc

Answer by mcginnisc at 8:37 AM on Jul. 3, 2010

• Depending on your budget, I think a cruise would be better. We have been on over 25 cruises and my kids always have a good time. We take cruises for several reasons. One is the food of course. No matter what time of day it is there is always food. Second is there is something for all group ages to do. We always get together about one hour before dinner(we do the late seating always) and have drinks and just talk about the day. We have also been to all inclusives. They are great but remember depending on where you go, can you leav the resort and explore the location you are at. For example I would not leave the area if I was in Jamica or leave the compound in Punta Cane. Mexico you do have to be careful, but I am sure the resorts will let you know. Check out the state departments website they have it all. Whether you take a cruise or do an all-inclusive dont forget on thing have fund with your family...
    Rosivick

Answer by Rosivick at 3:10 PM on Jul. 4, 2010