how do you pottie train a boy?

My son is now 2yrs old and i am having the worst time getting him to go potty in the toilet. I have read books on potty training, i have tryed chreeo's in the toilet an many other things. I was just wondering if any one out there can give me some ideas on how to do that.

123Hannah

Asked by 123Hannah at 3:41 PM on Jul. 2, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• is he showing readiness signs? Has he been telling you he has to go or when he needs a diaper change?
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 3:43 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• 2 might be too young,, there is so much hot debate on this, but honestly I was in your shoes, and he just wasn't ready,, I felt I was the one being TRAINED,, LOL! Anyway I waited until he was 3 and had a better grasp on it, much to my mother's dismay, but it took only a weekend and over. You are going to get a lot of responses telling you that their kids were trained at 18 months, but every kid is different, and if it is upseting to you and/or him,, I would just let it be,, but that is my OP!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 3:44 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• I agree with kimigogo. He may not be ready yet. My boys were 2.5 years and 3 when they were ready and then it only took a week or so. Good luck!
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 3:48 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• honestly it is really easy... but you should do it in steps... find him a potty seat that is fun to sit on, like something that has music or has fun characters on it.

make him sit on the chair when he gets up in the morning, and once every hour. you will need to be consistant. you may also want to have him sit on the potty during his favorite tv show or movie...

I started this with my son at 2, and this worked... he was fully potty trained in a month and a half... I was very consistant, and didn't have a choice mostly because I wanted to put him in daycare, and he needed to be potty trained.

YOU CAN DO IT!
    believejohn316

Answer by believejohn316 at 4:16 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• Try giving candy for using the potty. That is what I have been doing with my 2 year old and it works!
    jamesmommy512

Answer by jamesmommy512 at 4:23 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• I am trying to potty train my son to, we found it is easier to potty train him sitting down like me and his sister than it is to potty train him standing up. we just take him to the potty whenever we go and praise him if he pees or poops.
    Decker

Answer by Decker at 4:32 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• He may not be ready but here's how we approached it. Each day we had him sit on his potty (we did it right before bath and after dinner). If he refused, we skipped it and tried again the next night. When we got to the point that he'd sit and typically pee (and knew he had peed), then we started training. The first two days we let him run around with only a shirt and put him on the potty every 45 minutes or so. If he peed, we celebrated. If he didn't, we tried again every 10 minutes until he either peed or had an accident at which point we restarted the clock. I set a timer to keep track. By the 3rd day, he had the basic idea and we put him in underwear and did the same thing. We gave him a couple of M&Ms if he peed. It helps if you can devote a week or so to this and stay home as much as possible. We also played in the yard as much as possible to limit the mess..
    momofryan07

Answer by momofryan07 at 7:05 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• Kids will potty train when they are ready, not when you are ready. Does he wake up with a dry diaper after nap, and after he wakes in the morning...That is a sign to watch for. Make is a positive experience for both of you...Read books to him while he's on the potty...Make up fun potty time songs...I did potty charts for my boys, and that really worked (a star on the chart each time they went). My oldest didn't start potty training until right after he turned 3...We'd introduced the potty to him, had books, made songs, and had him sit on it a few times a day...But he decided when he was ready...One day he came up to my husband and said, "pee pee and poo poo go in the potty"...My husband asked if he needed to go, and he did, and that was that. With my youngest, he first went on the potty at 20 months, but was not fully potty trained until about a month before his 3rd birthday. Be patient.
    quinnbee21

Answer by quinnbee21 at 2:40 PM on Jul. 3, 2010