Do you call creditors (I am assuming that is who they are) back when they don't say really who they are or what they are calling about?

I have two credit cards and some medical bills that I need to pay off. Things last year got really tight money wise, dh hardly had any work. Anyway, I let these people know. Told them we would pay here and there when we had extra money, nothing else we could do no matter what they said. The mortgage, water, keeping the lights on is more important than them. Anyway, every once in awhile I get a phone call, just got one a few minutes ago. Weird area code, didn't recognize it, The message was a guy saying, "Hey it's Chris, give me a call ASAP at 866-???-???? ext. ???" Does he really think that I will call back with not knowing who he is calling for. Would you call someone back blindly like that? I mean if he said I am calling about your account with so and so, just like an update to your payments or something like that I would gladly call back.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:53 PM on Jul. 2, 2010 in Just for Fun

• I don't ever call them back. And if I accidentally answer the phone when one calls, I tell them I don't know who ___ ________ is, that I've never heard of her!
    They just bully you. And like you said, they don't say who they are calling for or what they're calling about when they leave messages.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 3:55 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• i wouldnt call back but thats just me, i only call back if im expecting a call
    san78

Answer by san78 at 3:56 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• Nope. I don't get many calls though.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 3:56 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• No, I wouldn't call back unless Iknew what it was about or recognized the person.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 3:59 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• I've called a few back. They call at least weekly looking for the previous owners of our house we bought 5 years ago.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 4:01 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• As a general rule I don't talk to recordings. When we moved here whoever had our number must have owed money to everyone on the planet. We got computerized calls for almost a year before we tracked them all down and wrote letters. I learned quickly that calling back the numbers on those recordings is an exercise in futility.

And if you want to track someone down, just enter the number straight into google 123-456-7890. There are websites out there that track telemarketing and collector numbers and let you know who they are.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 4:03 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• I call them back only because I'm SO tired of getting calls for the person that had my phone number before I did. I've had this phone number since October. Let's get with it debt collectors!!
    crazycatlady66

Answer by crazycatlady66 at 5:13 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• No, I never call them back. They might be for me, but they might be for any number of other people who we don't know, that get calls at our number. We laugh and laugh at the ones that say, "You have 48 hours to reply to this very urgent call," but they don't say who they are, what company they're from, or what they want, or even who the call is for. Yeah, buddy, I'm going to jump on that. "Oh no! Only 48 hours. Did I miss it??" Unfortunately, they call after the 48 hours is up and do it again. Sigh. I Google the numbers, and mostly there are posts from people who get the same weird phone calls, but nobody knows who it is.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 5:18 PM on Jul. 2, 2010