For people who believe in the God of the Bible: Where does evil come from?

I've seen people say evil is the absence of God or that Satan created evil, but what do you make of this verse? Clearly, to me, it's saying the God of the Bible himself created evil...

I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things. (Isaiah 45:7, KJV)

IhartU

Asked by IhartU at 4:00 PM on Jul. 2, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• The christian blinders only allow for a certain kind of information. According to the buy-bull, God created Lucifer knowing what he would become. He created mankind, KNOWING that they would disobey and would then be condemned by himself to the fires of hell. As mythology goes, he is the darkest of the darkness, having NO light or goodness in him, or he would never have put his creations thru all of this. In this ancient tale of misery, the only one with any light is Lucifer (the light-bearer).
    witchqueen

Answer by witchqueen at 12:28 PM on Jul. 3, 2010

• Sin entered spirtually when Satan fell and then by the flesh entered with Adam and Eve.

God gave them everything and he asked only one thing of them. Satan doesnt necessarily CAUSE sin, but feeds it.. whispers in your ears and mind.
    UAFwife

Answer by UAFwife at 6:22 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• God created Satan. He was Lucifer. He didn't so much create Evil as allow it to happen.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 4:12 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• I personally believe evil only exists as an opposite (or lack) of goodness, that in order for goodness to exist there has to be an opposite or lack of it as well. I believe that its not necessarily a real thing, but instead is like darkness being the opposite of light. I believe that God created us with the potential to achieve goodness, and the ability to waste our potential, although I don't believe that He "created" evil - evil is a result of what people choose to do , so I guess that makes it something we create. It would be a by-product of man, then, in my way of thinking, rather than a creation of God. That's not to say that I believe man is innately evil, merely that we are capable of it, and that there are those of us who cause/create it by choosing to do "evil" things rather than achieve our potential goodness, if that makes sense, lol.
    (and I am a Christian, haha)
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 5:41 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• GOd created Adam and Ever but Satan had already fallen from heaven then so he was already on the prowl. Adam lived in good, until he ate from the apple that Eve brought to him, and immediately he knew he was naked.

So Do i believe that God "created" sin, NO. Even Angels had choice to follow or not to and Satan because of his own pride he fell. He wanted to be greater than God. Sin is living in the flesh. God turns his eyes from Sin.

He even turned his eyes from Christ on the cross because its not Godly at that point, he took on the sin of MAN, Everyone! Walked Hell for three days and then rose from the Grave to Life.
    UAFwife

Answer by UAFwife at 6:20 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• There has to be opposition in all things. There has to be choice.
    CAGirl4

Answer by CAGirl4 at 4:02 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• I understand that, but did that God create both good and evil and set them loose so you can choose, or did evil come from someplace or someone else and that God uses it to his advantage?
    IhartU

Comment by IhartU (original poster) at 4:03 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• Originally, Satan ( or Lucifer as he was known) was one of God's angels. He chose to rebel against God and he and 1/3 of the angels were thrown out of heaven. Satan tricked man into sin, hence, sin entered the world. Did I do a good job explaining? I'm not good at explaining these things sometimes!!
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 4:11 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• Where did sin and evil come from? Did it exist before Satan or was it something Satan CREATED and how was he able to that if he did?
    IhartU

Comment by IhartU (original poster) at 4:13 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• The Bible begins with the moments of Creation. What existed before the inception of the universe is generally a mystery in the Christian Religion. I can't answer your question in the bounds of Christianity, because, well, I don't know.

I know Satan fell, and tempted adam and eve. (reverse that).
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 4:19 PM on Jul. 2, 2010