What goes on at your very first doctors appointment?

What will happen?

egurl85

Asked by egurl85 at 4:09 PM on Jul. 2, 2010 in Pregnancy

• At mine they do confirm it that day; they prefer ultrasound. They are also really cool at mine (I know not all clinics do this) and print a pic of the u/s for you.
    preacherskid

Answer by preacherskid at 4:24 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• They usually doing a urine dipstick, weigh and measure you. Take a thorough medical history, talk to you about nutrition and weight, maybe listen with a doppler for heartbeat, answer your questions.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 4:13 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• At mine, they do medical history (of you and immediate relatives), blood and urine, and an ultrasound to confirm pregnancy and due date. Basically, lots of poking, prodding, and very personal questions :)
    preacherskid

Answer by preacherskid at 4:13 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• ok good! So it will BE CONFIRMED that day actually!?
    egurl85

Comment by egurl85 (original poster) at 4:18 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• At our clinic you have to have a positive blood test before they will even make a prenatal appt. I guess some are confirming on the first appt.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 4:22 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• Also, they schedule the first one early here- usually before ten weeks if they can, so a heartbeat can't be picked up by doppler, but it can be seen on the u/s.
    preacherskid

Answer by preacherskid at 4:25 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• Preacherskid..interesting. Our clinic won't even make your first appt until you are 10 weeks. When you first think you're pregnant..they write an order to the lab for the blood test.. If that is positive you go to the clinic and pick up a 'care pack'. It has lots of pamphlets and stuff on nutrition. There is a list of recommended prenatals. If you have insurance they write a script for them and make your appt. They don't even do U/s before 20 weeks unless there is a problem.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 4:36 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• Yeah, ours is a little odd lol. You can take a test at home, call and tell them, and they schedule the first one then. Then they poke all over you and suck you dry lol. Then you go home with tons of info and coupons(most of which expire before you're due). I like some things about them, others not so much, but they are good with care throughout. They are the only ob office that I know of that does appointments and u/s that early. They do another "official" u/s at 20 weeks(the way they explained it that's the one they bill insurance for), and may do more if it's warranted.
    preacherskid

Answer by preacherskid at 4:44 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• I was told that I will be six weeks when my doc appt happens and they told me i am having an u/s so I guess thats a good thing righht? how accurate are home preg test if 5 came positive
    egurl85

Comment by egurl85 (original poster) at 4:51 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• weigh you and measure your stomach,check your ears neck,teeth,boobs sometimes.my first 2 they did but not my 3rd.vag exam,pap and finger check...check ankles ask history of health from family about other pregnancy if youve had other childern blood test.
    photogrypher

Answer by photogrypher at 12:15 PM on Jul. 3, 2010