Do you think you're entitled to make or receive personal calls on

your employers time? Should such calls be made on your break?
I went to a lab today to have blood work done. No one was in the waiting room. I signed in, the tech was on the phone with her friend. I waited 17 minutes for her conversation to be over, then she took my insurance information and brought me in the back room to take my blood. I was so annoyed.

Rnurse

Asked by Rnurse at 4:10 PM on Jul. 2, 2010 in Just for Fun

• I'm a firm believer in work is work. We were taught to give it our all. So no, I don't believe ANYONE is "entitled" to personal calls on work time. Obviously there are exceptions but on the overall absolutely not. And I get frustrated that so many people take advantage of their employers. They get paid to WORK. Ok, I'll stop now. =)
    firenicecream

Answer by firenicecream at 4:23 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• No, not at all unless it's an emergency, and someone is covering for you.
    My DH's grandmother was in the hospital after heart surgery and we went to visit her. The nurse that was supposed to be tending to her and the other patient was on a personal phone call and I had to wait for her to be off of her call to let her know that his grandmother wanted to be sat up.....she was totally rude about it.
    CAGirl4

Answer by CAGirl4 at 4:13 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• I think personal calls while on company time are fine - If and only if it does not get in the way of your work. I owrk for a small company and we all have families. We understand that sometimes you need to call someone, and that is fine. But we always hang up when there is work to do. We also don't get official breaks or even an official lunch hour ( never a problem unless it's super busy - then I forget to eat)
    But I agree that the situation you're describing would upset me too.
    NHRachel

Answer by NHRachel at 4:15 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• Personal calls should not be made or taken on company time. If I were you, I would be speaking or writing to a supervisor about that tech & her lack of professionalism.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 4:16 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• That does sound annoying, but maybe she had a scheduled break?

I always keep my personal calls short, under 5 mins.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 4:14 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• I think within limits is fine. I call the daycare to check on my kids on company time. I also call my family to see what is up for the weekend on company time. However, my family knows that if someone comes into the office or the phone rings that I will say that I have to go and hang up. As long as it doesn't interfere with work it is fine.
    other_mother

Answer by other_mother at 4:21 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• If it gets in the way of your work or interrupts the companies business than it's not okay. Prolonged personal conversations are pushing it too. However, I have a son in day care while I'm at work and need to be able to call his day care if I need to and they need to be able to get ahold of me. If I happen to be on the phone with a friend or my husband for a second and something work-related comes up or someone calls on the other line I end my personal conversation and get my work done.
    jessicarae787

Answer by jessicarae787 at 4:28 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• Personal calls should only be allowed while you're on break, unless it's an emergency . There are always exceptions, but when personal calls are interfering with job performance, they need to be stopped.Obviously, this woman's personal call was interfering with her work and I would be letting her supervisor know ASAP!! I used to work at a dialysis clinic and there was a huge double standard regarding personal calls. The lazy receptionist could talk on the phone to her kids, husband and friends all day long, but if the rest of us got a call, even if it was from our doctor regarding medical test results (happened to me a few times) she would take a message and give it to us whenever the mood struck her. If THAT'S not important, I don't know WHAT is!!
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 4:32 PM on Jul. 2, 2010