How do I get my ceiling fan to stop squeaking?!?!

Its annoying. I think its off balance or something, cause its a little wobbly. Any advice?

MunchiesMom324

Asked by MunchiesMom324 at 4:24 PM on Jul. 2, 2010 in Home & Garden

• I was going to say check the mount. Usually they only do that when unbalanced. Running an unbalanced fan can be a fire hazard, something about undue stress on the motor. I wouldn't wait long to fix it.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 4:32 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• Turn it off and try to tighten the screws that are holding it to the ceiling, maybe. Other than that I don't know how to level a fan. I don't know if a squirt of w-d-40 would help.

Answer by Bmat at 4:26 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• Re install it and place a little clip on weight on one of the blades, you can find this , in any hardware store.

Answer by older at 4:27 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• I know this will sound nuts, but my FIL balanced his with paper clips. He first tightened everything. Then he clipped paper clips on the fan baldes and kept adding clips to different blades until he got it to run smooth. Then he took the clips from the blades and weighed them. He made weights for each blade in the exact weight of the paper clips and he glued them to the top of the blades. All of the fans in his house are the most balanced and smooth running fans I have ever seen.
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 4:39 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• Try a little of WD-40.
    musicmom08

Answer by musicmom08 at 9:21 PM on Jul. 2, 2010