pregnant & hottub?

Did you get in when you were pregnant? I was at the public pool last night and an obviously preg. lady was in the hottub. She got in several times but limited it to 10 mins each time. All moms around were in shock...just wondering what your thoughts are on it?

ria7

Asked by ria7 at 4:37 PM on Jul. 2, 2010 in Just for Fun

• I never got in a hottub when I was pregnant. My doctor advised against it. But at least she was only in for 10 minutes at a time.
    Decker

Answer by Decker at 4:38 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• Every Doc I've ever been to said NO. It can raise the body core temp and cause brain damage to the baby.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 4:38 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• I stuck my legs in a few times while pregnant. Otherwise, too risky.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 4:44 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• I so wanted to go in the hottub when i was pregnant, but managed to resist. Can't risk it. It's our own babies we're talking about =)
    urban_baybee

Answer by urban_baybee at 4:45 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• I sat on the edge and put my legs in while my husband soaked.

Answer by missanc at 4:52 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• my uncle lowered the temp in his so that the pregnant women in the family could get in and use the jets, it was around 72 degrees in it so not very warm at all. Other wise it is a big no no. I did love hot showers when i was pregnant with my last and even then i had to be careful becuase i can stand it really hot.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 4:58 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• No, no, no. There's even a sign (usually) that says it's not OK for pregnant women. I hope her kid turns out OK, but if that's the kind of parenting decisions she's making already, that's just not likely.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 5:10 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• I didn't, but the reason it's a no-no is because it can raise your core temp and if that gets too high it can cause birth defects.
    By limiting her time in it she's probably okay, once you start feeling warm it's time to get out, and like someone else said the jets can feel really nice. Was it the best choice - not really, but from what you said, she did it in the best way. If that makes sense.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 5:59 PM on Jul. 2, 2010