I have a 9 month old boy & when he naps or goes to sleep for the night I usually hold him & rock him to sleep, I know biggg mistake, how do I teach him how to self soothe?

I tried to put him down when he's sleepy but when I put him down if hes not fully asleep he wakes up starts crying again until I fully put him to sleep if I didn't have a 2 yr. old or husband in the next room I would let him cry it out helpppp

sissaymay

Asked by sissaymay at 4:46 PM on Jul. 2, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• white noise
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 4:48 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• i rocked my little girl in a rocking chair for nap time until she was 14 months, which was when i stopped nursing, and she slept in the bed with my husband and we have a son who is 14 months older than her, but she slept in our bed at night until she was 14 months too, she has beeen happily sleeping in her bed ever since, it was hard for the first few weeks but i would stay with her and rub her back and sing to her until she fell asleep, but i stayed, i didnt leave her alone, its a big change for them too, kids adapt to changes faster than we think, just be consistent and wait until you are ready to make then transition. Good luck!!!
    emleejanedom

Answer by emleejanedom at 4:54 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• Leave him in his bed and rub his tummy or arms lightly until he drifts off again. This way you are doing the next best thing to holding him. He may take a while to settle down at first, but you can gradually cut back on it if you want to.

Answer by Bmat at 4:55 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• What the PP said. He is just looking for reassurance and affection. He will also be close enough to still smell you. Eventually he will become more secure and require less time to settle, to the point where you don't even need to be with him.
    Awakened1

Answer by Awakened1 at 5:04 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• He's 9 months old, he should already know how to self-soothe himself. I don't sit and hold my 5 week old all day because she knows how to self-soothe. Put him down, let him cry it out and figure out what most kids know naturally how to do. Holding him all the time is just preventing him from learning to rely on his own reflexes and will make life more miserable for you in the long run. Sometimes being a mom isn't about always being there for your child, but also knowing when to let your child stand on their own feet. This is one of those cases, it may be hard to do, but it needs to be done. After all, you're not going to hold his hand when he gets married are you?
    momnstepmom

Answer by momnstepmom at 5:14 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• I would sit with mine till he was almost asleep, then put him down and place my hand on his chest for comfort while singing softly or just going sshhhh... till he calmed down and fell asleep.

Before long I could just put him in and be there for a couple of minutes sshh'ing or singing before he sleept or was calm enough to where I could leave.

Sometimes he would wake up a couple of minutes later and I would just repeat the soothing sounds w/ my hand on his chest, but tried not to pick him again, and NEVER sat down w/him and before long he was fine.

Hope it works for ya' :)
    Nynne

Answer by Nynne at 5:14 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• ehm..pick him UP again...I meant ;-)
    Nynne

Answer by Nynne at 5:17 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• :(
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 5:47 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• I have a nine month old baby also, and I dont necessarily hold or rock him to sleep a lot. For his naps and bedtime, he falls asleep while drinking his bottle. Then he "sleep drinks" his bottle, and I lay him down in his crib when he is done. He does occasionally wake up slightly when I lay him down in his crib, but then he falls back asleep.
    dakajazz23

Answer by dakajazz23 at 5:58 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• Oh! I forgot to mention, I rub his tummy or his back if he isnt completely sleeping when he gets laid down for his nap or bedtime.
    dakajazz23

Answer by dakajazz23 at 5:59 PM on Jul. 2, 2010