what do you do with a child who just doesnt listen to you?

i have a 3 year old daughter and i am expecting in just a couple of weeks, recently she has gotten horrible. today i went to k-mart for some clothing and she was running thruout the store creaming, not listening to anything i was saying, at home she doesnt listen eiether. she behaves alright with my dh but me nothing. im guessing its bc im big and pregnant, cant pick her up etc, she gets spoiled by my mother(who was also at the store,..her way of calming her down was offering her candy~eye roll~ to which that did nothing as well.my dh just started a full time job as to where he was always home with us during the day before.these are the things i think are affecting her, however this behaviour is not acceptable and i need help as to how to make her obey what im telling her. she's just a plain brat right now.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:30 PM on Jul. 2, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Whatever method you use you need to be consistent with, if you default on your rules what is happening with her now is the result, this goes for grandma too!

Answer by older at 5:32 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• I'm right there with you momma! I wish I knew the answer. My son doesn't do that in the store, but at home he's a total BRAT!! He will listen to everything that DH says, I could say the same thing and he just looks at me and keeps on going. I hope you find some answers. Just know you are not alone!!!
    sprout.martin

Answer by sprout.martin at 5:33 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• I'm pregnant and i kind of have to pick my 3y/o DD up. In the store, we allow her to walk around as long as she doesn't pick up anything off the shelves and if she's paying attention to where she's going and if she's behaving! Our threat to her, is that if she can't listen to the rules (and I repeat them "don't touch...") then she has to sit in the cart. I give her a few warnings and then it's over. She usually says sorry, and I say "I'm sorry too, that you have to sit in the cart because you weren't listening" lol
    Seriously, be consistant. Don't offer candy because it only pacifies them for a few moments and then you got a kid with a sugar rush...lol I learned the hard way!!! GL to you!
    PS I think it's the age too!
    CAGirl4

Answer by CAGirl4 at 5:34 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• I think looking your child right in the eyes as much as possible helps. My child "searches" my eyes. He knows when I'm mad, happy, teasing, etc. Sometimes he doesn't care but I notice the more I do that the more he pays GOOD attention to me.
    firenicecream

Answer by firenicecream at 6:03 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• Consistancy. You can't let them win because its easier than following thru. Before you take her in somewhere, tell her exactly how you exp[ect her to act. If she starts misbehaving, take her to the bathroom, get her on eye level with you - normally I get down on a knee but since you are prego it would probably be easier to sit her up on a sink, and discuss her bad behavior. If you ignore her bad behavior rather than dealing with it - even once - you have lost the battle. You have to call her out every time
    karamille

Answer by karamille at 7:08 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• one word - consistency. if she is 3 then she knows how to listen to mommy, tell her what you expect from her, and if she doesnt listen, tell her there will be consequences, and ALWAYS follow through with them. for example, if she starts throwing a fit in the store, tell her to stop, and tell her if she doesnt, then she doesnt get anything from the store, and i mean nothing! or tell her she will have a time out when you get home or whatever, just make sure what ever you say, you follow through with. and give her as much good praise as bad, especially when the new baby comes, or you will definatley have worse problems on your hands. i hope i helped! good luck momma!
    katamike

Answer by katamike at 1:12 AM on Jul. 3, 2010

• omg i have 3 kids and i WONT bring my kids in the store with me anymore you would think that would work having to sit in a car with daddy but nope i tried to bring them in and they act crazy so i just wont bring them in but yeah having a child screaming through the store and everyone is staring at you wondering how your going to control your kid it makes it even harder ! my kid ran through the whole store screaming and crying i even told him i was gonna leave him there and started to walk away so he sat there and screamed so i went to go get him and the brat ran (hes small and quick) ik having her sit in the car with daddy isnt a option for you b/c hes working full time so what i would do is drop her off with grandma while u get your stuff from the store and if you want to teach ur mom a lesson for giving her candy before u drop her off give her some ice cream lol (i have one of those moms to lol)

staci328

Answer by staci328 at 1:14 AM on Jul. 7, 2010