Anyone know anything about caterpillars and/or cocoons?

DD and I made our own habitat for a bunch of caterpillars we found outside. I've read the majority of them become moths. How can I tell if these will? They're green with black heads and long hair. If they do, will they be drawn to clothing? Or do they just mistake them for leaves? Do butterflies eat clothing too? Are moths dangerous at all? It looks like one made a cocoon today in a hidden area. But it's very transparent. I can see the lil guy moving a lot inside. I thought it was like hibernation so was surprised to see that. Do they continue making it from within? Can I move the cocoon or will detaching it hurt? Also, what makes them want to change? I read they just eat til they're huge and transform but this one isn't my biggest caterpillar. I'm wondering if he's just stuck in something and not a cocoon at all.

jus1jess

Asked by jus1jess at 5:31 PM on Jul. 2, 2010 in Home & Garden

• Do not detach it. That will kill the moth. It probably is a moth and I think certain kinds of moth are the ones that eat clothes. They will want to fly off before that will be a problem. I would let them go shortly after they come out of the cocoon.

Cindy18

Answer by Cindy18 at 6:04 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• ive had a caterpillar in its cacoon stage for a month now and it hasnt transformed into a moth. weve been waiting i dont know what is taking so long. i read it only takes days5-2 weeks but i could have read the wrong information. its actually not in a cacoon, it spun some silk in between leaves and shrunk up to a seriously small size comapred to what it had grown to. We have been looking every day for it to "hatch" but nothing yet. It definatly isnt dead because it would be decaying and smelly , i have no idea what is going on but my daughter is so intersted in it and waiting for it to become a "mof" as she says
    falanlee

Answer by falanlee at 7:06 PM on Jul. 2, 2010