So my neighbor started beating on my door at 12:10am this morning. When my dh went to the door she started yelling

that she is calling CPS on us because our baby screams all the time and asked what we are doing to him. I told her Im sorry but he is almost 2 and he is a screamer and there isn't anything I can do about it. I also told her to NEVER again beat on my door at midnight and scare my sleeping baby half to death. She kept yelling so we closed the door and called the cops. They just told her she is hearing noise from everyday living. But anyway...I am so upset no one has ever questioned my parenting and asked me what im doing to my child to make him scream. I would NEVER hurt my baby. He screams cause he is a baby and I can't do anythng about it. Have any of you ladies ever had someone threaten you like this for no reason? Oh and I live in a apartment she is right below me. And I have only met her for like 2 minutes one time.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:32 PM on Jul. 2, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Wow...if she was concerned or annoyed with the noise she could have spoken to you about it during the day instead if banging on the door that later..especially as if she has a problem with hearing your baby why the heck would she want to risk waking him?

I just think the problem is that you live in an apartment so walls are going to be thin. Little kids make a lot of noise especially while they are adapting to not being able to do what they want all the time.

I don't know what to say other than I am sorry you had to go through this...she may just have come to the end of her tether with the noise and instead of speaking to you about it and airing her annoyance, she went apeshit one night.
    keyaziz

Answer by keyaziz at 5:40 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• Sounds like she's just a bitch. If she has kids, she should understand. I wouldn't be surprised to learn she was child free. My almost 3 yo likes to scream top of lungs when he doesn't want to do what he's told sometimes. Last time, I screamed as loud as I could back in his face. He hasn't screamed at me for over a week now...
    silversmom

Answer by silversmom at 5:35 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• I'm sorry! :(
    I think people are CPS crazy these days. They threaten anyone with anything they dont' think is right. She must have been drunk to have come over that late at night and start screaming at you guys, when your child was asleep. You did the right thing by closing the door and calling the cops!
    CAGirl4

Answer by CAGirl4 at 5:36 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• Is he going through that obnoxious yelling stage where they test their lungs? Ach, I had a half dozen people on a bus berating me for that one... "shut that kid up" WTF" etc... it was awful.

they outgrow it.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 5:34 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• Sounds like she has issues. I could maybe see if she came to your door when he was awake and screaming, to say something to you, but you said that he wasnt even awake. So yeah, she has issues.
    dakajazz23

Answer by dakajazz23 at 5:38 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• my MIL called children's service because we had a couple plates in the sink (We had just finished breakfast, the pans were already in the dishwasher.) She scream at us for hours about us neglecting our children and that our house is filthy. We finally got so pissed we told her go ahead and call children's services. She did, they came out and told us that our house was one of the cleanest they've ever seen, our children were happy and social, and that there was no signs of abuse. My MIL was there fore the home visit and she started screaming at the poor social worker. He shut her up by asking if he needed to check her house LOL. Her place is always trashed. My kids are not aloud over there with out my self or my DH present.

Sometimes its not just strangers. You kind of have to take it as it comes. Eventually the police / children's service will start ignore calls from that person about how you and you child.
    SolaraDarkset

Answer by SolaraDarkset at 5:40 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• Babies really shouldn't scream all the time... if he's crying that means there is something wrong, unless it's just a fit, in which case, she needs to get over it. But if your son really is crying all the time then maybe do some sleuthing and try to get to the bottom of what the problem is. When is he crying? Does he just need more comfort? Is he hungry in the night?

Regardless that was totally uncalled for of her. I'm sorry she was such a jerk :(
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 5:35 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• The high pitched, "lets see just how loud I can get!" scream? You know, where they screech, squeak, take a deep breath and let it rip?
    Yeah, he'll outgrow it- It really IS normal. Not every kid does it, but one of my 3 did. It's horrible, and you just want earplugs all of the time!!!
    He's old enough that you can quietly, and calmly tell him that he is hurting you, and he needs to save his loud sounds for when you're outside. Eventually it'll get better.

As for your neighbor- You can file harassment charges for that. I hope you got a copy of the police report. CPS won't do anything but come say hi, look at the child, check to make sure that the house is safe, and that he is being fed... You don't have anything to worry about. She sounds like she's off her rocker.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 6:29 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• the joys of living in an apartment
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 5:37 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• Your a better woman than i :) Ive got bad mama bear syndrome. I woulda re arranged her face for her. You dont talk about a mothers child!!! Huuuge no no. Especailly when shes doing a great job. As im sure you are :)
    carsonsmommytam

Answer by carsonsmommytam at 6:34 PM on Jul. 2, 2010