How important are ear plugs after your child gets tubes put in their ears because of so many ear infections?

My aunt said that when she asked her ear doctor how important it really was he said its not that big of a deal because the water will just come right back out....thats the point of the tube. The reason i ask is because i put plugs in my 1 year olds ears and then as soon as i dump water over his head for the first time to wash his hair they fall out and i cant get them back in. I have my husband plug my sons ears with his fingers but my son just screams!!! i dont want the tubes being put in turning out to be pointless because i let water in his ears like i wasnt suppose to. Thanks for any help!!

mommyofone15

Asked by mommyofone15 at 5:35 PM on Jul. 2, 2010 in General Parenting

• None of my grandkids (who have tubes) have ever used ear plugs and they are fine.

Answer by admckenzie at 5:36 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• The only time we had my SS use ear plugs was when he was swimming and was going under water all the time. With showers, baths, or playing in the pool but not going under we did not worry about it.
    Carajust

Answer by Carajust at 5:39 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• My niece had tube in her ears, and I told my sister to put silly putty in her ears when she gives her a bath. That's what I saw someone else do that had tubes in their kids ears. It seems to work, you just kinda flatten it out and stick to their ear to keep the water out. You don't want to put it in the ear canal.
    badgirl44654

Answer by badgirl44654 at 6:14 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• I had tubes... When showering or bathing (as long as I didn't put my head under water) I didn't have to wear them... I DID have to wear them EVERY time I went NEAR a pool. I had a couple of accidents (fell into pools... i was a clumsy kid) and would get HORRIBLE ear aches and infections (like swimmer's ear but MUCH worse). My neice is the same way (she's 5). They now make headbands to go over the earplugs to help keep them in when swimming. I also couldn't dive because my ears would pressurize correctly and would hurt a lot! But as far as showering was concerned as long as I didn't summurge (sp?) my head I didn't have to wear the plugs.

Hope that helps!
    terpmama

Answer by terpmama at 6:16 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• Did a quick google search of "custom ear plugs for swimming" and for about 140 bucks you can get custom fit ear plugs (kinda like the ones for hearing aids but without the aid part).
    terpmama

Answer by terpmama at 6:20 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• We let my son wear the headband when in a pool but not in the shower...we were just real careful
    MommyH2

Answer by MommyH2 at 6:53 PM on Jul. 2, 2010