How do I wean my daughter?

She is 19 months old and I'm so ready to wean her! It was so easy with my son, he just stopped nursing and started drinking milk. My daughter won't have anything to do with milk. She hates it! She only nurses a couple times a day and sometimes at night before bed. Any tips?

Asked by Jessica_1717 at 11:08 AM on Jun. 28, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Around 11 months I started giving my son regular milk. I tried mixing it with with her formula or mixing it with a little water. Eventually I stopped offering the formula and only gave him the regular milk. At first he didnt like it and it would take him forever to drink a full 8 oz but now he drinks all. Good luck.

Answer by IfLoveWasBorn at 11:31 AM on Jun. 28, 2008

• she has no choice but to take what you offer her. after a few tries of the milk she'll get used to it and start to drink it.

Answer by sarahmarie85 at 11:12 AM on Jun. 28, 2008

• We just went cold turkey too at 22 months. IT took a few nights of me having to rock a screaming child, but it worked! It was easier to do then getting him to end co-sleeping.

Answer by scrapbug at 11:21 AM on Jun. 28, 2008

• Take small steps. Instead of taking the bottle completely away give her the bottle but take the nipple away. There may be some screaming and even a temper tantrum or two but eventually your LO will be weaned. As far as getting her off of formula your LO will take what you give her. She might get mad at first but she will get thirsty.

Answer by HeatherTurner at 1:20 PM on Jun. 28, 2008

• Just cut out one nursing a day for about a week, then take out another, and so on til she just isn't nursing anymore. And make sure you're offering her milk and water in a sippy more frequently during the day to make sure she stays hydrated. I wouldn't reccomend going cold turkey this time of year cause it's way to easy for little ones to get dehydrated.

Answer by bltcahill at 3:53 PM on Jun. 28, 2008

• strawberry milk worked for me... :) and i just took the boob away. we had one night of crying, and it was a bit difficult, but after the first night she completely forgot about it...

Answer by katatrinakay at 11:48 PM on Jun. 28, 2008