My 8 month old has tried 4-5 different foods, I don't see how I can start table foods if I need to introduce one at a time to check for allergies

She has no interest in eating purees and i'm way too scared to give her a piece of food, I don't want her to choke. (I was an EMT and I know CPR and i'm STILL too scared for her)

They say breastmilk for the first year is all they need, what am I going to do then?

staciandababy

Asked by staciandababy at 6:09 PM on Jul. 2, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• To be honest, since NOBODY in our family has any allergies that we know of, I never stuck to this rule. If there were, then i'd be extra careful around those particular foods.
    All my kiddos just ate what they ate. As for the table foods, we would literally feed crumbs to them and then work our way up within a meal. At the first sign of difficulty we'd back step and go from there! that's just what we did at least! Hope it helped! xo
    CAGirl4

Answer by CAGirl4 at 6:13 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• you can't keep her from food forever!
    we all have our safety issues as moms.
    mine, i hate to, and i rarely have put gas in the car if i have any kids in there!
    i guess you have a few months to work on you!!!
    good luck mama!
    it can be hard watching them grow!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 6:15 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• Just offer her large chunks of very ripe pear, avacado, etc. Thins that are more likely to be mashed by swallowing. We had similar fears and the first "whole" food we offered was cheese puffs. Terrible I know, but the thought was that they pretty much dissolve and we wanted to see if he would bite it.
    new_mom808

Answer by new_mom808 at 6:16 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• Breastmilk is relied on well into the second year as well. my son didn't even show a real interest to solids until 14 months so don't panic.
    keyaziz

Answer by keyaziz at 6:19 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• I did the one thing a day rule at first, thru stage one foods, and then when he went to stage 2 thwey mixed things together and i wasnt worried anymore. Just give baby what you eat. If baby has a reation, just run thru whatever was given that day and just watch each of those things the next time you give them to see which it was :0
    carsonsmommytam

Answer by carsonsmommytam at 6:24 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• Most of the time the only foods you need to watch out for are peanut butter, honey & milk products, other than that I never stuck to the "one new food a week" rule. As for feeding her table foods, if you're scared get a food processor and grind up your meal for her, that way it will have the consistancy of baby food and it won't choke her. You can also add breastmilk into the "meal" for her that way it isn't as dry.
    colethky

Answer by colethky at 6:25 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• You don't have to wait between foods if there are no history of food allergies. And remember choking is when the airway gets blocked and there will be no noise as you know. Gagging may happen as the reflex is farther forward than with adults, gagging isn't choking. Noise is good. Start with soft foods not purees (it is easier to get a puree down the wrong pipe becaues the baby sucks it instead of manipulating it with their tongue). Ripe pear, avocado, baked sweet potato, butter nut squash, lightly cooked blueberries, mushed beans, hummus...etc. If your baby has a good pincer grip they can most certainly handle pea sized pieces. A baby who can't handle something will generally spit it out if they are sitting upright. Avoid putting things into the mouth, but allow the baby to take it or feed themselves. If there is excessive gagging then stop for a week or two and try again.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 6:45 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• most allergic reactions to foods are simple rashes. i never worried about it. if i gave my child spagghetti and she got a rash, then i would try each ingrediant seperatly to see which she was allergic to. just dont give her any of the foods that typically have severe reactions like peanut butter or berries untill shes over one year.
    cassie_m

Answer by cassie_m at 6:46 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• Give the baby small pieces and watch their tongue. You should notice open mouth "chewing/gumming" and using their tongue to move the food. If you don't see this, they aren't really ready. Again, don't worry about gagging..that's how a baby expels something from the mouth. If the piece isn't too big it wont get stuck and they can cough it out (coughing is good).

Allow the baby to self feed, like I said. A lot of babies who are spoon fed don't know their own limits and they tend to misjudge food. Meal share! Mealtime should not be a separate event. It should be FUN and an experience. Put some soft or small pieces on the tray and let your baby have at it. You'll be surprised at how quickly they learn to handle food. We've been letting our baby self feed since 7 1/2 months, at 8 1/2 she was handling peas and halve/quartered fresh blueberries. She's 9 months now and has had everything.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 6:50 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• except dairy, meat, and grains (other than a little bread), nuts. I limit acidic foods like tomatoes and citris. And I avoid nuts, nut butters and honey. She's even had strawberries BUT we have no history of reactions, the were farm fresh, and I tried it and watched carefully.

Don't worry so much. It's an experience. Babies have good choking failsafes designed by nature. If you work with the baby rather than with modern methods of spooning in food. HAND feed her and give her things to feed herself. Use a normal spoon for things that are naturall soft.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 6:53 PM on Jul. 2, 2010