Okay, honest question... Why do people think divorce is a bad thing?

I mean, you get married because you're happy and you love each other (or at least that should be the reason) but if the love and happiness are gone, what's the point of continuing a marriage? I mean, if you're not happy, or you don't love each other any more, why would you want to continue life that way?

I'm sorry, but life is to short to be unhappy, especially at your own hand! So how is an unhappy marriage better than divorce?

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 6:46 PM on Jul. 2, 2010 in Just for Fun

• its bad because religion says so. thats why people think its bad. thats the only reason. if you use your brain you dont stay with someone you hate...right?
    cassie_m

Answer by cassie_m at 6:48 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• I guess because its giving up.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 6:49 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• Good question...IDK...I'm bumping this cause I want to hear what everyone has to say
    MommyH2

Answer by MommyH2 at 6:50 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• I think it is damaging to children and I'm always saddened to see a marriage dissolve but "I do" doesn't come with a guarantee.  It is what it is!

beeky

Answer by beeky at 6:51 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• I agree with you. My husband's grandparents have been together for over 60 years and all proud of themselves, but they literally can't stand each other. They don't sleep in the same room or spend any time together whatsoever. That said, I don't think that a marriage should be thrown away over superficial problems. Sometimes people need to compromise to learn how to live together, because let's face it even those we really love can annoy the hell out of us! LOL.
    moniquinha

Answer by moniquinha at 6:51 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• Ha! Religion says alot of things but we don't follow every single thing. I'm with you, if you're not happy in your marriage divorce.
    kira25

Answer by kira25 at 6:52 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• I think it's bad because, when we get married we are COMMITTING to love each other forever. It's not to "be in love as long as it's working". Divorce means that one or both parites are giving up, and taking the easy way out. Loving someone and being in love are drastically different. Loving someone requires effort and work. Being in love is a passive act.
    new_mom808

Answer by new_mom808 at 6:53 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• It can be bad for a number of reason sucky ass step parents* which not all are bad* but I had the worst step mom and step dad It can emotionally scar a child for others it can be the best it depends....
    starestrada

Answer by starestrada at 6:53 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• Because you shouldn't get married unless both people are willing to put in 100% to make it work. Even when DH and i are both not happy we both try 100% to change it. This is because we both agreed we would NEVER get divorced (unless there were some extreme circumstances).

I feel too many people hit a rough spot in their marriage and split. When really, if they took the time and effort to devout themselves to fixing the marriage it could eventually be better than it was before. And when the marriage is saved it saves the heartache of the children etc.

Young children believe that everything is their fault. So when parents get divorced many children believe that whatever caused this unhappiness in the home was all their fault. Which is only ONE reason why divorce can be a bad thing.

Although, it isn't always a bad thing.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 6:53 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• Outstanding love I agree with you!
    starestrada

Answer by starestrada at 6:55 PM on Jul. 2, 2010