Do you or are you planning on teaching your kids to sign?

new_mom808

Asked by new_mom808 at 6:55 PM on Jul. 2, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I did...and the signs faded as soon as he could say what he wanted...that wasn't an issue at all...it really helped him communicate with us and eased some frustrations...the only signs I taught him were milk, more, drink, eat, please, thank you, and all done.
    MommyH2

Answer by MommyH2 at 7:00 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• Yes. i taught DSS when he was little how to sign and when i have my own baby i plan on teaching her from the start (at birth) how to sign.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 6:56 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• I've taught each of my 3 kids how to. My oldest didn't pick it up very well (he's 4 and has a severe speech delay. He was never interested in communication until he was 3ish). DD1 picked it up ok, but as soon as she started talking, it all quickly went away. Right now my 12 month old can sign all done, more, bottle, bath, and bed. She really liked doing it too as she hasn't really started talking yet.
    things_not_sane

Answer by things_not_sane at 8:47 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• I taught my son a few signs to make communication a little easier. The three that he really picked up on were "more" "all done" and "milk".
    ohbladi

Answer by ohbladi at 8:58 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• I wanted to, lol.. but I ended up teaching them some Italian instead haha! They are still learning though. It will be a while xD
    midnight11287

Answer by midnight11287 at 6:57 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• I didn't with my 1st two and I don't plan on it with this on either.
    fatcat0908

Answer by fatcat0908 at 6:57 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• Yes I do but I don't want them to sign their life away either...lol my ds is learning how towrite in cursive.
    Butterfly1108

Answer by Butterfly1108 at 6:57 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• I haven't and don't plan on it with any future children. It's not a bad thing. It just hasn't been for us.
    mupt02

Answer by mupt02 at 7:09 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• Nope. I've never seen a good reason for teaching signs... I'm 27, and never once have I met someone that was def... Plus, I don't know how to do it myself, so how could I teach it?

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 7:19 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• yes! my daughter is 4 months old and i sign pretty much everything to her! i took sign la in college and loved it! i think it will be very helpful once she gets older! u can go to the ASL web site and find out how to do signs just the basic would be fine to teach! they normal dont sign back until months so we are just waiting! good luck!
    Caroline2010

Answer by Caroline2010 at 7:40 PM on Jul. 2, 2010