My 16 month old and his temper tantrums

I am a single mom to a beautiful 16 month old little boy named Gregory, he is really good most of the time and he's an angel for everyone else but when anyone else comes is with us, he turns into a terror and cries and screams the entire time. Like if my parents and siblings come over for dinner or when his early head start teacher comes to the house. He gets really mad and doesn't stop crying, he will hit me, throw stuff at me. I dont understand it, he's really good most of the time when it's just him and I and everyone tells me he is amazing when he's at daycare or the early head start center, he plays really well with the other kids, will play by himself, etc.

I've asked his doctor about it and he just says its the way kids are but I don't think that it is that simple, I know his dad and I spliting up caused him to have a lot of attatchment issues and seperation anxiety but anyone have suggestions on how I can help him??

youngmommy21709

Asked by youngmommy21709 at 7:04 PM on Jul. 2, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• You have to ignore the tantrums. This is part of the terrible two's. I hate to tell you this but it will last until he is close to 2 and you will hit the defiant three's. I send my child to her room for her tantrums and she can come out when she has been calm for 1 min. Otherwise you need to ask him to show you what he wants. They whine and throw tantrums because their communication skills aren't great yet. As you progress through this year the tantrums will get worse but the communication will get better. I ignore whinning and send tantrums to the room. I wish you luck but you have to figure out what you are going to do and stick with it so that he knows that you mean business. I understand that splitting from his dad has been difficult for him but if you continue to let the tantrums go they will become a bigger problem as he gets older. I wish you luck.
    coala

Answer by coala at 7:09 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• i agree with coala you have to ignore them. When they throw a tantrum they are looking for a reaction... and they know when there are people around they are more likely to get what they want just to be shut up. Kids are alot smarter then we give them credit. My daughter does the same thing. I ignore her for a few mins and if it's still going on i make her sit down next to me and make eye contact with me. and i talk to her, with a calm voice. I say Casey(my daughters name) look at me... i may have to ask to her to look at me a couple times.. Casey i know that you want to go outside right now, but first we have to eat lunch, don't you want to have fun with mi-mom and pop-pop. i just keep talking in a calm voice, and tell her i understand that is frustrating, but we are doing this right now and we want to have fun. Whether or not you completely understand what i am saying to her, just talking to her in a calm voice really helps
    ashjacks4

Answer by ashjacks4 at 12:47 AM on Jul. 3, 2010