GOP chair's Afghan war remark stirs firestorm

WASHINGTON — Republican National Committee chairman Michael Steele says Afghanistan is "a war of Obama's choosing" and the conflict "is not something the United States has actively prosecuted or wanted to engage in," comments that drew an immediate rebuke from Democrats and a call from at least one Republican for him to resign.

What do you all think? Me personally, I'm happy to sit back and let the Republican party do itself in again. But I have to say that is one stupid remark he made. Yes, it's Obama's war now; but he did not start this war or order people over there in the first place.

NightPhoenix

Asked by NightPhoenix at 7:18 PM on Jul. 2, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• NightPhoenix

Comment by NightPhoenix (original poster) at 7:19 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• Also, what is with people putting our troops in danger, by appearing to not stand with our brave soldiers? War sucks, we get it. But it's an ugly reality. And if people like McChrystal and Steele keep showing a lack of a united front, it will be a downfall for us. Our enemies look for these weak spots and exploit them.
    NightPhoenix

Comment by NightPhoenix (original poster) at 7:21 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• we are at war? huh. it doesnt feel like it. Last i knew Afghanistan was in need.
    IraqiVetWife

Answer by IraqiVetWife at 7:23 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• I agree. The war doesn't seem to be something PBO has been very interested in. He had all these promises of what would happen and when and then just went on to something else. He is Commander and Chief of the military which is at war. That should be his first priority at all times. He just seems like it has become a nuisance sometimes.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 7:46 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• He is reviewing the Afganistan war every 3 months...how is that not making it a priority? Thats more than Bush (who sent us to war, for those who have forgotten) did. He is TRYING! He was handed a mess, and now he's trying to clean it up...but it takes TIME and MONEY and EFFORT. McChrystal "resigning" or being relieved of his command was the best move to end this war. And there is a time table for pullout of next summer, but it will probably be 2012....

Let the republican party continue to stick their foot in their mouth.
    ArmyWifeAshlie

Answer by ArmyWifeAshlie at 8:21 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• Oh good grief. Well, on one level, Steele is right. Obama said that he would fight the right war, which was Afghanistan. So, Obama is choosing this war. And while he is fighting the right war, he is making little effort to get the needed troops and equipment there, so I would have to agree that he is not prosecuting this war. But, I can see how that statement could easily be misunderstood.
    29again

Answer by 29again at 9:19 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• Afghanistan is "a war of Obama's choosing"

LMAO!! Really??? What is the START date??  OK, right.....

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 12:03 AM on Jul. 3, 2010

• LMAO!! Really??? What is the START date?? OK, right..

Do you think Bush started it alone? Did he not have the support and vote from nearly everyone in congress? Dems and Reps alike? And the support of most of the country? I think he did.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 9:34 AM on Jul. 3, 2010

• Do you think Bush started it alone? Did he not have the support and vote from nearly everyone in congress? Dems and Reps alike? And the support of most of the country? I think he did.

Yup, after all the lies and misinformation and the BITCH ass congress that was really just looking to be re-elected....but how does that boil dowm to it beaing Barack Obama's war?

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 9:37 AM on Jul. 3, 2010

• Sweets--every thing bad is Obama's fault. I broke a nail today while planting flowers--Obama's fault I am sure! Selective memories sure are handy around here aren't they?
    Youngwifey2

Answer by Youngwifey2 at 11:35 PM on Jul. 3, 2010