How much drinking is too much for a parent?

My husband has at least 3 beers a day, even if I am not home and he has the kids. He often times has 5 or more. When I bring it up to him he gets defensive and does not thing there is anything wrong. Am I over reacting? It really bothers me...Oh and he is a light weight so at 5 beers he is stumbling and starting to slur his words.

AmyLynn5398

Asked by AmyLynn5398 at 7:26 PM on Jul. 2, 2010 in Relationships

• I see nothing wrong with drinking around your children AS LONG AS you're not drunk! What if you're not there and an emergency comes up and he has to drive the kids to the ER! No, you're not overreacting -- he needs not drink that many UNLESS there is someone else at home with him when he drinks that many.
    blsdbyangel07

Answer by blsdbyangel07 at 10:36 PM on Jul. 4, 2010

• yeah he should have 1 or 2 only especially if he is watching the kids.
    Butterfly1108

Answer by Butterfly1108 at 7:28 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• i would think someone who has to have a drink everyday to the point of stumbling around and sluring woulds is way past one to many and moving on to needing help....and to answer your question i dont think more than one a day is need for relaxing.....only more than that if you are enjoying a party and someone is watching your kids...
    cara124

Answer by cara124 at 7:29 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• If he is Stumbling & Slurring then 5 is too many!
    daisyb

Answer by daisyb at 7:30 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• It would not be that bad, but if he is trashed then NO it is not good. Everything in moderation my friend.
    leasmom1214

Answer by leasmom1214 at 7:32 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• Its too much when he is impaired all the time and is in denial. When it impacts the family.
    Mom_2_cuties

Answer by Mom_2_cuties at 7:38 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• Time to talk to him about what he's trying to escape from, why is he drinking to the point of slurring every night?
    Nyx7

Answer by Nyx7 at 7:43 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• Anytime you reach "drunk" its too many.
    Tes...Jacksmami

Answer by Tes...Jacksmami at 10:33 PM on Jul. 2, 2010