How much would you charge?

To babysit kids regardless their age regardless what they know (like potty trained) I would like to do this in my home from 6am-6pm and what about the days they do not come in? Do you still charge for the day? I just don't want to be taking advantage of. I mean I am doing the parent a favor right? I think I am bc there are people out there that do take advantage. So How much per day or hour.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:48 PM on Jul. 2, 2010 in Money & Work

• In my area, in home day cares charge anywhere from $65-$125 a week for full time children. They also have drop in rates and they are normal $15-$25 a day. Be sure to check with your local and state laws to see if you have to be licensed/certified in your state. Good Luck!
    JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 7:50 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• Here are lots of answers to this popular question. Hope it helps.

musicmom08

Answer by musicmom08 at 7:51 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• Its hard to say. I'd probably find out what your area day cares and home day cares are charging, so I can set a competitive price. I'd also determine how much I'd be spending in arts and crafts, food and whatever else you might be providing. I made that mistake last summer when I watched a little girl. I wanted to help my friend out and didn't charge her much at all. Ended up spending more than that in activities and food each week.
    Mom_2_cuties

Answer by Mom_2_cuties at 7:52 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• if it was me id do something like 3 dollars and hr for kids #1-3 and 1 $ extra from kids # 4- ? ? for those who have lots of kiddos. id be leaniant on my cancellation fees. again maybe 3 dollars or so. but this is just b/c i live on a military base and i like to help out my fellow soliders wife. however if u want to do this right id charge 5 and 6 $.thats a good rate.
    sandraberke

Answer by sandraberke at 7:52 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• also check out care.com you can look at what childcare providers are charging in your area.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 7:55 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• My county has guidleines for each group and age. so hard to say, you probably dont live in my area.
    IraqiVetWife

Answer by IraqiVetWife at 7:58 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• I think there are BIG differences from "babysitting" and "daycare". You need to decide which you'll be doing. I think it's taking advantage of people to baby sit their kids but charge for days they aren't there. However, with daycare that's a completely different matter that deals with legalities and all. Good luck to you in finding your answers. =)
    firenicecream

Answer by firenicecream at 8:03 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• Where I just moved from I paid about $20 (in diapers) for daycare. I really liked the lady running it but there were too many kids and my daughter was always sick. So we switched to another lady that was awesome. She only had about 8 kids all under the school age and she always had a great helper. My daughter only got sick once in the year that she was there and her expertise was wwaaayyyy worth it. For her it was $25 per day in diapers and $20 out of diapers.Regardless of whether your kid was there or not we paid the daily fee. When my fiance got his days cut she cut the fee for us as well but we were also the only parents that would keep our child with us when we had the day off.Personally, I think that if you are just starting out and you don't have alot of credentials other than being a mom I wouldn't ask as much as what my daycare providers do. Or ask more and limit the amount of kids.I'd pay more for one with less kids.
    GraceZsMom

Answer by GraceZsMom at 8:26 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• I would not leave my child in an unlicensed home.

Answer by rkoloms at 8:36 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• Our local daycare is $20 a day - period! It doesn't matter how long the kid is there (up to 12 hours) or what they know...

But personally, I would never leave my kid in a home daycare, especially one without a license...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 1:09 PM on Jul. 4, 2010