Epidural or Spinal?

I have to have a c-section (VBAC not an option) and I've been trying to figure out whether I want an epidural or a spinal. I had an epidural with my DS and it didn't work properly so I ended up having to be put to sleep... I'd really like to avoid that this time! My concerns of a spinal is I know you have to lay flat on your back for hours (my hospital says 6 hours) and I'm going to breastfeed so I don't know how to do that while laying flat on my back.
Has anyone had both? Is recovery easier for one more than the other? Were you able to breastfeed?

alc030

Asked by alc030 at 8:37 PM on Jul. 2, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I don't have experience with the epidural but with my c-section I did have a spinal.
    Honestly, I had a bad experience with it. But they didn't have me lay flat on my back for 6 hours...maybe thats why I had a bad experience,lol. It didn't hurt to be put in or anything. But I had pain later that night and it lasted for about 3 weeks. I had to take a pain medication. I did breast feed though...about 8 hours after the delivery. They said the pain was from the c-section though, the tugging and the pulling..the doctor said that sometimes happens.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 8:41 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• I had 2 epidurals and I never had to lay flat on my back for hours
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 8:42 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• storkI had a c with my daughter. I had a spinal. If was not bad at all. I had her at 9:08am and I was back in my room by 11:30am. I did breastfeed her and I really do not remember much of it. I did feel very tired. They want you to stay in bed because you are not able to feel your legs to walk.. I stayed in bed till the next morning. Plus you have a cath. in. They will help you, they will not leave you alone when you are breastfeeding. I would not worry. I wish you a happy delivery!!!

sta517

Answer by sta517 at 8:51 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• I would go with an epi if you have to have a c-section. There's just so much more involved with a spinal and I could NOT deal with being flat on my back for 6 hours. I've always had vaginal births and being able to move soon after is very important to me.
    miasmommy21407

Answer by miasmommy21407 at 10:42 PM on Jul. 2, 2010