help trouble with my four year old

I have a problem with my sweet little four year old! He doesn't listen unless it is what he what's, decides he is going to tell me what he is or is not going to eat down to just throwing fits. I need advice. I've looked on-line and it's all about buy this book crap!! I can't do the whiney, bulling, pitch fitting anymore!!! not to mention he turns 5 in 4 months.

Monkie-00

Asked by Monkie-00 at 8:48 PM on Jul. 2, 2010 in General Parenting

• Not to step on your toes but he is doing because you are allowing him too. When I fix dinner this is what you are gonna eat. Pitch a fit, "please excuse yourself from the table until u calm down". He doesnt listen because he doesnt have to. He has learned that if he screams or yells you will give in. Try walking away or offering choices. Either you can have this or this. I dont buy books either becasue discipline isnt that hard. People have been doing it for centuries. Its called consistency and teaching your students that you are the parent and you mean what you say. Good Luck.
    lilmsnay83

Answer by lilmsnay83 at 8:56 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• Yeah, my 4 y/o (who will be 5 Nov 18) knows better than to try that. I dont like to spank, but I will use a pattle and two or three firm swats on the butt or I will use a ruler and spank his palms. I use time out first tho, and I NEVER give him what he wants until after he has done what I have instructed. If he doesnt want to eat his food, he doesnt eat a meal and I'll wrap it up and give it to him again for the next meal and so on until he eats it. That always works.
    sugahmamma

Answer by sugahmamma at 8:56 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• What do you do when he throws the fits? If you give in you are giving him exactly what he wants. Ignore him and put his plate at the table. If he doesnt eat he doesnt get anything else. If he goes to bed hungry it will not hurt him and he will be just as hungry in the morning when you put the same plate in front of him for breakfast. Once he gets the idea that he is going to eat what you tell him too or nothing else he will stop acting out.
    wildwiccan83

Answer by wildwiccan83 at 8:57 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• Do the Supernanny approach: Make a short list of house rules.
    Explain the rules to him. Make sure he understands.
    Explain the consequences of breaking the rules. "time out" or taking toys away or something.
    Carry out what you say you are going to do....follow through with the consequences. Explain to him why he is disciplined: You didn't listen when I told you to turn off the tv, so you need "time out" for 4 minutes. Then you can say you are sorry and tell me that you turn off the tv the next time I ask you to.
    After he apologizes, or picks up his toys or whatever, go back to "normal" without any harping on it.

Good luck!
    kjrn79

Answer by kjrn79 at 8:59 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• my dd will be 5 next month and has recently attempeted that attitude. she has quickly learned that it doesn't fly in my house. you just need to put your foot down. YOU are in charge, not your son.
    nickellmomof2

Answer by nickellmomof2 at 10:11 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• Your the adult so take charge!
    Judmr

Answer by Judmr at 8:38 AM on Jul. 3, 2010