How can I get dd to stop playing with her potty?

My dd is 13 months old and for some reason for the past week instead of using her pot, she chooses to play with it. I think that she is going to use the pot and instead she will sit with her feet in it like she is on side of a pool? How can I get her to realize that it is not a toy?

MsHouseWife

Asked by MsHouseWife at 8:54 PM on Jul. 2, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• It is going to be really hard to do that. You tell her that this potty is "hers", now if you think about it most things that are "hers" are for her to play with or wear. Most kids don't have allot of things that are just cute to look at and not touch unless needed and at 1-2 years old she is really to little to comprehend any more complicated concepts. To her If it is there ans she is allowed to touch it sometimes (to go potty) then she should be alowed to touch it all the time. To try and tell her no some times and then later try to sit her on it will only confuse the poor baby. My son used to sit on his and watch his daddy do his morning ablutions. I think watching daddy go to the bathroom, brush his hair and teeth, and do his other morning things is one reason my son was potty trained by age 3 (night and day). He wanted to be like daddy. Anyway if you are concerned about germs buy some spic an span antibacterial spray or
    wildwiccan83

Answer by wildwiccan83 at 9:15 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• I dont know but if you get a good answer I'm excited to read it. DS thinks his is a chair to sit on while he brushes his teet. LOL. I just figure, "at least that means he comfortable with it right?"
    new_mom808

Answer by new_mom808 at 8:55 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• My DS has been playing wiht his potty since he was 13 months old, he takes it apart and i have had to put it together a few times. He actually sat on it today and he is 16 m/o yay! But i have been putting him on it when i am in the bathroom, so maybe that has helped.
    PotterMom218

Answer by PotterMom218 at 9:09 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• another like it. They are made to be sprayed and left. I used to spray it on there everytime i would go to the bathroom that way it got done a few times a day and i was sure it was clean when ever my little man would follow daddy in. Good luck
    wildwiccan83

Answer by wildwiccan83 at 9:16 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• I am not worried about the germs b/c I do keep it clean. Not to mention she stopped using it and started using it as a toy. I just want to get her back on track. She went from using it almost all the time to nothing.
    MsHouseWife

Comment by MsHouseWife (original poster) at 9:48 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• I kept explaining to my DD that it is meant to be used to pee or poo in not to play with. We mentally outgrew the chair and moved onto a potty ring and I had to explain that it was meant for sitting and not a necklace. I am working on that part with the 18 mo that I baby sit.
    coala

Answer by coala at 10:14 PM on Jul. 2, 2010

• 13 months old is still pretty young, so she assumes it's a toy because she doesnt understand the concept of potty training yet. Does the potty have bells and whistles? Or is it a plain potty? If it looks like a toy, that might be a reason. If she likes movies and being read to, buy some potty material! My son loves elmo, so I got him elmo's potty time, and he has a potty board book. Seeing other children on a potty and repetition of the common words used for potty training will help her identify better! Not just from the movies.books, but from you too! Take her in the bathroom w/ you and narrate what YOU are doing. Since babies like to imitate she will put 2 and 2 together!
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 11:03 PM on Jul. 2, 2010